DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found frozen mango at Dollar tree yesterday.
I plan on chipping away at the 30 lbs when and where I find it cheap.
I've got time to wait and my wallet won't feel it all at once.
Can't wait to try this one! :)

So I think I goofed on my batch of apple core berry wine-- it was perfectly clear when I bottled it but a month later and there is sediment at the bottom of the bottles.

I either forgot the preservatives/stabilizers (it's possible...) or I didn't add enough, maybe. I didn't add much sugar to back sweeten but it looks like it is fermenting.

What are my options here? Dump back into the carboy and let it settle out, and test the gravity? Add more sulfites?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Looks great, John. Yours is a testament for the DB recipe. Don't worry over the initial results. In a very short time, it will improve remarkably. Adding sugar also makes a big difference, even if it's just a small amount. Berries have a sweet side, so if you want it to taste like the fruit from which it is made, it needs some sugar.

Greg, I like the label, even in B&W. Monkey down! I repeat! Monkey down!

datcv: is that a DB version? Have you opened a bottle to see if it's carbonated?

John, thanks for putting up the pics. Looks great! Like your labels.

Do you label and shrink cap all the wine that you bottle? I just do it to the bottles that leave the house.

datcv: is that a DB version? Have you opened a bottle to see if it's carbonated?

It is DB with addition of several pounds of apple cores and other leftover fruit. I haven't checked carbonation but I actually did have a little extra that I put inside of a grolsch bottle so I will definitely check that. If it's not carbonated that just means I had additional fallout and I just need to filter and rebottle, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

John, thanks for putting up the pics. Looks great! Like your labels.

Do you label and shrink cap all the wine that you bottle? I just do it to the bottles that leave the house.

Yes I label all my bottles I get my labels where I get my supplies he has the labels and the program to customize what you want for .10 cents a label I can't print them for that cheap.

Thanks for all the personal testaments to the recipe, and the aging process. As a newbie, I am unsure of the recipe and if the desired outcome will be achieved. I guess I just need to have faith in the process! It sounds like everyone's wine turned out great with just a little aging!!!!. :)

It is DB with addition of several pounds of apple cores and other leftover fruit. I haven't checked carbonation but I actually did have a little extra that I put inside of a grolsch bottle so I will definitely check that. If it's not carbonated that just means I had additional fallout and I just need to filter and rebottle, right?

A little sediment is not normally an issue with homemade wine. However, if it bothers you, you can unbottle, filter, and rebottle. I'd add a pinch of k-meta if you do that, as it will be exposed to additional O2.

I always filter mine before I bottle. Sediment in the bottles drives me nuts! But that's me. :D

Yes I label all my bottles I get my labels where I get my supplies he has the labels and the program to customize what you want for .10 cents a label I can't print them for that cheap.

.10 cents for the label, 30 cents for the cork and $1.20 for the bottle. You've spent more on the hardware than the software! :mny
smilie.gif

Joking aside, .10 cents a label sounds like a steal.

well my batch of db is now down to .990 I have been busy for the past 3 days and haven't paid much attention to it... I suppose I'll let it sit for a few more days to settle in the kitchen before racking it to the carboys. It's going to be good to have more DB around to drink, I have only kept 1 bottle from my last batch which I intend to keep until next year to see what it turns out like. I'll definitely try to keep a few more from this batch as this one isn't honking strong like my last one lol

Yeast question:

I started a double batch of Strawberry DB last night with 16 pounds minus the icky bits that had to be cut off and the leaves.

I was about to start my yeast when I discovered I only have 1 packet of Lalvin EC-1118. I thought I had more oh well. Silly LHBS is out currently. Boo!

I need a low foaming yeast because there isn't a whole lot of head space in my primary.

I do have on hand at least 2 of each:
Red Star Cotes des Blancs
Red Star Pasteur Red
Red Star Pasteur Champagne
Red Star Premier Cuvee
Red Star Montrachet.

OG is 1.080, Which is suggested to use? I'm leaning most toward the Cotes des Blancs or Premier Cuvee (From what I understand from research, Premier Cuvee is most similar Lalvin EC-1118)

Last edited:
Yes. Read the link.

The link wasn't showing up originally for me. It just looked underlined weird right?

Good to know for future reference on double batches!

Unfortunately, at about I went ahead and started re-hydrating the 2 pkts of Cotes des Blancs. Oh well. 'Tis what it is.

BTW this stuff smells DIVINE! The pectic has started breaking the strawberries nicely! This is my first try using FRESH fruit rather than frozen, and there is a big difference IMHO.

*crosses fingers*

Sounds great, Gina! I'm about to fire up a batch of the same. It's a summer favorate around here. I call it "Sweet Strawberry Tart"---even though it is a DB variation. I'm glad you got it going. the Cotes des Blancs will work fine.

Good luck, girl! :br

A little sediment is not normally an issue with homemade wine. However, if it bothers you, you can unbottle, filter, and rebottle. I'd add a pinch of k-meta if you do that, as it will be exposed to additional O2.

I always filter mine before I bottle. Sediment in the bottles drives me nuts! But that's me. :D

I think it might be ok. I tasted some last night and it is not carbonated. The sediment doesn't quite look like yeast sediment but some semi translucent chunks that is probably pectin from the apple cores. It looked clear to me when I bottled it but it may not have been. I think my next batch is gonna be a by the book DB recipe.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

My Dragon Blood is in 3rd month, I did one final carboy reracking and back sweetened with grape concentrate. Everything is looking and tasting good. Next step is to prepare bottles and bottke it all. This carboy swith went from 5 gallon gladd and a few send 3L 'carboys' into a 6 gal better bottle, 1 1 gallon glass carboy and a couple of sample glassed. All transferred, set aside and cleaning up. After cleaning I look at the better bottle (plastic) and when I moved it to table the weight pushef up and the wine is touching that yucky rubber bung. YET anither "I hope I did not ruin it" moment. I siphoned some if the top and I believe Idetect a rubber after taste

r

Just finished racking my first batch from primary bucket to carboy. Final SG 0.992 which gives me a calculated ABV of 10,76%. Had ~1.7L left over which I used to fill a 1.5 liter wine bottle. Have no idea why I saved this except maybe to see how long it takes to clear on its own.

Ref: Started Monday 02/24/2014

Day 1 (Monday) DB started SG 1.075
Day 2 (Tuesday) SG 1.074, Temp 80F +- / Pitched yeast
Day 5 (Friday) SG 1.040, Temp 80F +-
Day 7 (Sunday) SG 1.014, Temp 80F +-
Day 8 (Monday) SG 1.010, Temp 82F +-
Day 9 (Tuesday) SG 0.997, Temp 80F +- / Locked down / Bubble every ~4 seconds
Day 14 (Sunday) SG 0.992, Temp 80F +- / rack from bucket, stab agents, back sweeten 4.5 cups, clearing agents, stir degassing, started vacuum pump degassing / calculated ABV = 10.76%

Latest posts

Back