DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may actually have to give this a try this year. We had a bottle of DangerDave's DB before and it was pretty darn good.

Doug,
I am sure you will like it. It is very similar to your Cranberry/Lime recipe you gave me awhile back.

Dave I am interested in your method of secondary flavoring in your blue blood. I currently have a batch of blue berry on the go Same as DB but with frozen BB. I will be racking to secondary in a few a couple of days. My questions to you are
1: Do you add the BB and Oak to secondary after sorbate and fining?
2: Do you add the BB and Oak directly into the wine (no bag) I think it would be difficult to use a bag with anything other then a Better Bottle sized neck but this could be an option.
3 Much like 1 do you use more fining agents or just rack and settle before bottling
Thanks

Starting my second batch of DB today using 3# of the triple berry and 3# of raspberry/blueberry/strawberry. I have about 3/4 of a bottle of very sweet peach wine that is good as a dessert - can I use it to top up my carboy later? Or just add it in at the beginning?

Call me low class, but I sometimes make freezer berry wine...whenever store bought fruit (mostly strawberries or blueberries) stay in the fridge too long, we freeze them, until we have enough to make something...I wouldn't call it db, because it's really just random stuff thrown together in an ad-hoc fashion.
That's what I do too!
I have about 20lbs of bananas, a few lbs of concord grapes, strawberries and blueberries in my freezer. Time to make a batch!

if it's fully fermented wine that's fine to put it in your carboy, you can blend it with the other wine :) It will give it extra flavour!

I made a 4 gal batch of triple berry using this recipe. Starting SG was 1.08 before adding the berries. Any idea how much sugar 4 lbs of fruit contributes?

Like I have said before, Jim. For some reason, the blueberry takes more time to come around, but when it does, it's very good. I just bottled another batch recently for summer consumption. Great minds think alike!

Dave,
My 100% all local blueberry is now dry and will rack on Thursday. When you say it takes more time to come around, give me a ball park of how long. And is that if bottled or bulk aged?

I'm listening! Haven't started my blueberry yet... Only have 1 - 10 gal fermenter and my tropical daze is in it!

I have 6 gal fermenters coming out of my ying yang but they're not big enough for all the fruit!

I have 6 gal fermenters coming out of my ying yang but they're not big enough for all the fruit!

I'm shocked that Dragon Lady doesn't have a Brute 20 gal primary lol !

Make two batches in your multiple 6 gal primaries. The primarys don't have to be full. Then the batches can be combined (or not) and racked to a 6 gal and a 5 gal carboy. Just a thought!

Ya I was going to split my TD batch like that cuz my 10 gal is full to the top with the fruit and 7 gals of water/juice mix. Need a 20 gal brute can ASAP and going to get one of those trollies for it. I guess I could just mix the fruit in a huge stainless steel bowl and then separate them evenly and the yeast too. Ya maybe I'll start this soon!

Dave does the blueberry finish off seemingly hot or acidic this taking longer to come around possibly oak or bananas would be a good addition to this variation?

JetJockey have u tasted yours since it went dry? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
The first blueberry version I made finished just, well, not tatsing very blueberry-ish. Nobody drank it, so it sat in my rack (bottled) for a year. I popped a bottle every once in a while to check it's progress through time. It came up to 'good' after six months. In a year it was wonderful, with a nice full blueberry flavor. At least at that point, you could recognize it was blueberry. To the current batch I just bottled---in an attempt to make it more drinkable earlier---I soaked extra blueberries in it after clearing. It is much fruitier.

It's been in the bottle for a couple of weeks, so maybe I'll uncork a bottle tonight and see how she's coming along.

Even though all db are to be a young wine...I think after about 3 mos there all better...I opened one yesterday that was perfect when bottled..but when opened it was almost too sweet...next batch i bottle will be dry, just to see what happens in 3 mos,6 mos.

Need a DB recipe recommendation

Looking for something to get me thru the winter down time. Both the wife and I like a not-so-sweet, dry wine. Merlot is our store bought wine of choice. My blackberry and red muscadine (Nobles) our favorite homemade. After pouring thru this thread for over an hour thought I'd just give up and ask. Any recommendations? TIA ...

Latest posts

Back