DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started my first batch. The specific gravity isn't quite right.

I used 45 oz of lemon juice due to the packaging of the lemon juice. I read where 2 cups of sugar equals a pound, so I bought a 10 pound bag of sugar. I measured out 20 cups per the recipe. The specific gravity was low. I ened up using the whole 10 pounds which measure to just over 23 cups. I got a reading of 1.072. Should I add more sugar? It's sitting now with the berries in it.

That will put you just under 11% abv if it ferments to 0.990. Let it sit overnight and stir really well then check sg again. Maybe the sugar isn't dissolved completely? My notes show 24.5 cups of sugar total. Including the 4.5 C for back sweetening. I've been very happy with the results of my db.

One month on! Gave the blackcurrant a go! I like it, fruity and nice. Not complex, just nice, easy drinking. Next time I think I will chuck some oak in to give it some nice body.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1402569167.212961.jpg

I just started my first batch. The specific gravity isn't quite right.

I used 45 oz of lemon juice due to the packaging of the lemon juice. I read where 2 cups of sugar equals a pound, so I bought a 10 pound bag of sugar. I measured out 20 cups per the recipe. The specific gravity was low. I ened up using the whole 10 pounds which measure to just over 23 cups. I got a reading of 1.072. Should I add more sugar? It's sitting now with the berries in it.

On my first batch I had to use the whole 10 pounds (23 cups like you say) to get to 1.074-1.075ish. I forget what the SG was with just the 20 cups but it was below the 1.075. With my second batch I just poured in the whole bag to begin with and my SG measured 1.076.

If it were me I would measure again and if need be add more sugar to set my starting SG @ 1.075 (or more ifin you want a hotter finished DB).

Last edited:
Just remember, everyone, that the fruit has sugar in it, too. And different fruits have different levels of sugar. When you add your granulated sugar or simple syrup to get your OG, this does not include the natural sugars from your fruit. I imagine there is a way to calculate the added sugars from the friut by measuring the SG of the fruit juices and how much you would get from each pound of fruit, etc., but I have never tried to figure it out. That is why I try not to drive the OG up overly high, so the DB doesn't come out too 'hot'. The 1.075 OG (from the recipe) was the balance I reached over numerous test batches when I first started making DB with the triple berry mix---and balance is the key to making good wine.

Hi everyone. I'm a Noob and had some questions about DB.

How do I wash and sanitize the fresh berries?

And

What should the Ph be before pitching the yeast?

Any thoughts before I ruin this batch.?

Take care everyone, good luck with your ferms.

nooB

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Well, change of plans. I just put six pounds of fresh berries in the freezer. I'll read more for the four days and talk with you guys before starting.

Hi everyone. I'm a Noob and had some questions about DB.

How do I wash and sanitize the fresh berries?

And

What should the Ph be before pitching the yeast?

Any thoughts before I ruin this batch.?

The berries do not need to be washed. If they've been frozen, don't try it. Follow the instructions in the recipe just as if they were store-bought, however, you will add one extra step. When the must is all mixed up and the fruit is in the bag(s) and in the fermenter, since the fruit is fresh, you need to sanitize your must by adding a small amount of potassium metabisulphite. Do you have powder or tablets? The powdered sulphite that I use comes in a bag with clear instructions on it as to how much to add per gallon of juice or per pound of fruit. After adding this you will then wait 24 hour before pitching the yeast.

Don't worry about the pH. If your making it according to the recipe, it will come out well balanced abd delicious. And you can sweeten it to your particular taste.

Ruin it? Confidence is also a valuable---and often underrated---ingredient in wine making. You will do fine. This recipe is almost-nearly-virtually-completely fool-proof. :i

Will somewhere in the middle of these ranges work with DB:

Ph 3.0–4.2
TA from 4.5–10.0 g/L, and
15–28 ºBrix

I guess there's one way to find out....

@ DangerDave: Sorry man, I posted again before realizing that you replied. Thank you so much Dave for giving me some guidance. I tend to over complicate things sometimes and this is all new. I bought the fresh because I got a good deal on them. I never considered the impact. This is my first time.

I will leave the chemistry alone for another rainy day. Your post got me back on track.

Have a great night Dave!!

I learned to make wine from the awesome folks right here on this forum. You can search the web over, but you will not find a kinder, more patient group of creative and enthusiastic wine makers than right here. I'm just paying it back.

No question is ever too "noob" for us. We want to you succeed, then come back and tell us how wonderful we were for helping you. :h Good luck with the wine!

I learned to make wine from the awesome folks right here on this forum. You can search the web over, but you will not find a kinder, more patient group of creative and enthusiastic wine makers than right here. I'm just paying it back.

No question is ever too "noob" for us. We want to you succeed, then come back and tell us how wonderful we were for helping you. :h Good luck with the wine!

Hey Dave, this is a perfect example of one of the things to do when your retired.
God Bess

Will

Good morning everyone. Noobs first batch of DB. Step 1.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1402751295.170149.jpg

Thanks for the help DangerDave! It already smells great. Take care everyone, have a great weekend.

Noob.

I'm on day three with my first batch. The fermentation seems to be slowing down a bit. It is still fizzing but it doesn't have the head on it anymore when I open the container. Here are my numbers from each day. Am I on track with what everyone else seems to be getting?

Start 79 degrees 1.077
Day 1 81 degrees 1.065
Day 2 79 degrees 1.044
Day 3 79 degrees 1.030

looks good to me! I prefer a little slower ferment, and as long as it is continuing to work it is doing fine! DB is a fast wine, but there is still a little patience involved. ;)

I think mine is stuck. It fizzled out....S&G is stuck at 1.06.....what do I do?

I'm on day three with my first batch. The fermentation seems to be slowing down a bit. It is still fizzing but it doesn't have the head on it anymore when I open the container. Here are my numbers from each day. Am I on track with what everyone else seems to be getting?

Start 79 degrees 1.077
Day 1 81 degrees 1.065
Day 2 79 degrees 1.044
Day 3 79 degrees 1.030

Looks like you're going faster than what I did for my first batch but I think you're fine.

My first batch notes follow...

Started Monday 02/24/2014

Day 1 (Monday) DB started SG 1.075
Day 2 (Tuesday) SG 1.074, Temp 80F +- / Pitched yeast
Day 5 (Friday) SG 1.040, Temp 80F +-
Day 7 (Sunday) SG 1.014, Temp 80F +-
Day 8 (Monday) SG 1.010, Temp 82F +-
Day 9 (Tuesday) SG 0.997, Temp 80F +- / Locked down / Bubble every ~4 seconds
Day 14 (Sunday) SG 0.992, Temp 80F +- / rack from bucket, stab agents, back sweeten 4.5 cups, clearing agents, stir degassing, started vacuum pump degassing / calculated ABV = 10.76%
Day 16 (Tuesday) Racked to Bubbler from glass carboy to get off of clearing sediment. Wine looks pretty clear but will probably drop a bit more sediment. Tasted good even at this early stage.
Day 28 (Wednesday 3/26/14) Bottled 30.5 equivalent. / Some very fine sediment on bottom. Did not suck up but next time rack to bucket to bottle. / Steal taste – thought Janet would say a bit tart and want sweetened but.. surprise… she liked it as is! / Janet and I split the .5 bottle. Very pleased! We would rate as 8.5 on a scale of 1-10.

Lessons Learned: a) Use less water. Had ~800ML over 23L/6 gallon. b) Maybe degas in a bucket a little longer so won’t have to hand vacuum pump? c) Rack to bucket for bottling to double insure no sediment brought into bottle. d) Would mashing/crushing fruit before adding result in a bit more fruit flavor being extracted?

Looks like you're going faster than what I did for my first batch but I think you're fine.

My first batch notes follow...

Started Monday 02/24/2014

Day 1 (Monday) DB started SG 1.075
Day 2 (Tuesday) SG 1.074, Temp 80F +- / Pitched yeast
Day 5 (Friday) SG 1.040, Temp 80F +-
Day 7 (Sunday) SG 1.014, Temp 80F +-
Day 8 (Monday) SG 1.010, Temp 82F +-
Day 9 (Tuesday) SG 0.997, Temp 80F +- / Locked down / Bubble every ~4 seconds
Day 14 (Sunday) SG 0.992, Temp 80F +- / rack from bucket, stab agents, back sweeten 4.5 cups, clearing agents, stir degassing, started vacuum pump degassing / calculated ABV = 10.76%
Day 16 (Tuesday) Racked to Bubbler from glass carboy to get off of clearing sediment. Wine looks pretty clear but will probably drop a bit more sediment. Tasted good even at this early stage.
Day 28 (Wednesday 3/26/14) Bottled 30.5 equivalent. / Some very fine sediment on bottom. Did not suck up but next time rack to bucket to bottle. / Steal taste – thought Janet would say a bit tart and want sweetened but.. surprise… she liked it as is! / Janet and I split the .5 bottle. Very pleased! We would rate as 8.5 on a scale of 1-10.

Lessons Learned: a) Use less water. Had ~800ML over 23L/6 gallon. b) Maybe degas in a bucket a little longer so won’t have to hand vacuum pump? c) Rack to bucket for bottling to double insure no sediment brought into bottle. d) Would mashing/crushing fruit before adding result in a bit more fruit flavor being extracted?

I've noticed the fruit flavor to come out more the longer it ages. Otherwise I think more fruit would be the ticket

Latest posts

Back