DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeast question

I am planning a 3 gallon batch of DB using a can of Riesling concentrate and a fruit salad blend of pineapple, strawberries and mango. Would it be worthwhile to use Lalvin BM 4x4 yeast instead of EC-1118? I plan to skip the lemon juice in primary. I'm hoping the 4x4 will make a well-rounded, smooth wine.

Im using EC-1118, just started my DB yesterday with Blue berries Black berries straw berries and pomegranate. I havent used the Lalvin BM 4X4 so it would be interesting to see how it turns out. Good Luck!

I'm about to start my first batch(es) of Dragon Blood.

I have 2 five gallon carboys so will adjust the recipe accordingly (doesn't look like I have to adjust much0.

I'm confused by the one step though.

Carefully rack off one gallon of wine into a cleaned and sanitized container, and set aside.

Set aside for what?

I'm about to start my first batch(es) of Dragon Blood.

I have 2 five gallon carboys so will adjust the recipe accordingly (doesn't look like I have to adjust much0.

I'm confused by the one step though.

Carefully rack off one gallon of wine into a cleaned and sanitized container, and set aside.

Set aside for what?

You are removing some volume of wine to allow room for the added sugar. Much or most of that wine will go back in when you top off after adding the sugar.

You are removing some volume of wine to allow room for the added sugar. Much or most of that wine will go back in when you top off after adding the sugar.

Thanks.

Another question.

When do I want to snap the lid down and add a bung and bubbler?

After I add the yeast?

Thanks.

Another question.

When do I want to snap the lid down and add a bung and bubbler?

After I add the yeast?

You add the bung & bubbler when it is racked into carboy normally about day 5 to 7. (See step 4).

While in the bucket you will be hand pressing the fruit daily. I just place my lid on loosely and cover the hole where the bung would be placed with a piece of paper towel to keep bugs, etc out.

Hey everyone,

I just started my first batch of DB tonight, and maybe a little to hastily. I thought they berries were thawed enough to add to the primary but it appears they were still very very cold. The temperature is down to probably 45-50F, is there any problems with this? I haven't added the yeast yet as I need to let is sit for 24~ hours. Are the Yeast Nutrient/Energizer/Pectic Enzymes susceptible to low temperatures at all like yeast? I assume as long as the temp is back up to 75~ the yeast will still be happy.

Hey everyone,

I just started my first batch of DB tonight, and maybe a little to hastily. I thought they berries were thawed enough to add to the primary but it appears they were still very very cold. The temperature is down to probably 45-50F, is there any problems with this? I haven't added the yeast yet as I need to let is sit for 24~ hours. Are the Yeast Nutrient/Energizer/Pectic Enzymes susceptible to low temperatures at all like yeast? I assume as long as the temp is back up to 75~ the yeast will still be happy.

You'll be fine! Just bring the juice up to temp and add the yeast.

You'll be fine! Just bring the juice up to temp and add the yeast.

+1, it might slow fermentation, but I hear that smooths the flavor, even make the flavor better. as it warms to room temp 70-75f it will pick up the fermentation. it should just start slower.

I like the DB - My girl? Not so much....

That just means I also get to finish the bottle once I open it :)

I also use it in Dragon-Tini's which are always a household favorite...

I'm going to need to start up a new batch soon though because I rather prefer it after some months in the bottle....

My fav rendition so far used much more berries than the recipe calls for - Like 10lbs fresh blackberries, and 10lbs fresh raspberries (no blueberries but I like those too!) - only 15oz or less lemon juice.... Sugar to about 12% potential ABV - and 3/4c sugar to backsweeten....

I've been buying and saving fresh berries in the freezer (at least 6lbs blueberries now) - I'll augment with some frozen black/rasp/blue - then maybe up the potential abv to 14 or 15% this time.... A little less lemon juice or maybe lime....

Get this stuff out of the dragon and into the bottle - sitting around waiting for summer!

Cheers!
johann

I also use it in Dragon-Tini's which are always a household favorite...

The Dragon tini sounds good since i love martinis! How do you make it? Vodka? and whats your mix ratio?

Im starting my next batch of Dragon Blood in a few days too...My last batch was the original recipe as i didn't see any variations at that time. Came out very good but i feel it was a little light on the fruit. This batch im going to double the triple berry and use at least half of the lemon juice. I would love to add as little sugar to back sweeten as needed since im not big on high sugar drinks. I wanna get ready for summer too!

Last edited:
@Stevelaz

Yes Vodka or Gin - I find it needs to be about 50/50 to get good solid flavor with a good kick but am always experimenting too :)

I actually need to refine and solidify the recipe so I'll work on that tonight and get back with some details.

Pretty sure it also involved a shaved orange or lemon peel.....

Cheers!
-jb

When I did my tests on the back sweetening amounts I had already let it sit for a couple months - cleared/filtered... I then added the sorbate and started with 1/4c sugar into the carboy and let it sit for a couple weeks to assess the sweetness better.... I found that in my case I liked 1/2c to 3/4c and I had two slightly different batches with different berry mixes and lemon juice.... Minimal sugar though and now 3-4 months later those are very good....

I tried Bourbon / orange peel in the dragon-tini last night for a dragon-sour type and didn't like it as much as the tini's... Interested in any other good dragon cocktail recipe's !

Cheers!
-johann

Ok. Sounds good. Are those batches your talking about 6 gallon where you like the 1/2 to 3/4 sugar?

I think i will try a dragon tini this weekend! :db

Somewhere between 5 and six gallons yes... I don't particularly like sweet wines though and you can always add more sugar... But let it sit for a while to meld before bottling because it does bloom a little.

Cheers!
-johann

That does not seem like that much sugar at all.

Im starting a new batch tomorrow. Will go light on the sugar as i think i did to much in the last batch, but still good! This batch i am doubling the fruit and using half of the lemon juice to...so maybe that will make a difference.

Just to be clear - I'm talking about sugar for back-sweetening. I think it called for up to ~6c in the original recipe. Other people may use less/more depending on their taste.

The sugar used in the fermentation portion (primary) was closer to 20cups which is what I used and that's where the alcohol comes from. Adding sorbate at the end prevents further fermentation so that when you add in your back sweetening sugar it does not ferment out and it stays sweet..

-johann

yes, I was talking about back sweetening when i said i was going to go light on the sugar. Im not messing with the fermentation sugar except maybe adding a bit more to bump up the alcohol...lol.

By the way how did you add your initial sugar for the fermentation? Did you just add to the water and mix? Or did you heat it in water first to dissolve it easier? I might try dissolving it in hot water this time. Anyone else welcome to chime in on that one...

Also, since im only doing a 3 gallon batch, besides the sugar and fruit, at fermentation should all the other ingredients be cut in half, like the tannin, yeast nutrient, energizer, ect... I believe i did cut them all in half for my last batch but wondering if i should have...

Last edited:
Has anyone upped the sugar to have a higher alcohol content say 11 12 percent? Just wondering how it turned out. I just started a 3 gallon batch and added about 12 cups sugar to get a sg a bit below 1.080 (after all fruit and juice added) which should give me about a little over 10% alcohol. Was thinking of upping the sg a bit....

I bump mine up to about 1.090- 1.10 and it comes out just fine. That's not including the sugar content of the fruit.

Latest posts

Back