DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im getting ready to make a 3 gallon batch to give this a try. Without going through hundreds of threads, is the revised (current) recipe on page one of this thread? Thanks

Im getting ready to make a 3 gallon batch to give this a try. Without going through hundreds of threads, is the revised (current) recipe on page one of this thread? Thanks

Danger Dave's recipe on the first page is what you want to use. As for a revision recipe I don't believe there is one. A change that I remember is maybe use Super Kleer instead of Spakloid as a clearing agent. It is a wonderful recipe and if you follow it you should be very impressed. The wine makes fast to drink fast as it will come to full flavor in about 3 months or so. And as you get time read the entire thread and you can really learn so much about what you can do with Dave's recipe. Good luck and remember there are many of us that are here to help if needed.

Will

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks! The reason i asked is i read somewhere that he changed the original recipe cutting the lemon juice in half to one bottle. I did make it exactly as on page one. the only thing i had to adjust was the sugar. After sitting overnight the sg was only at about 1.070. I added more sugar to get it to 1.075, 76. Thanks again. Will be pitching the yeast soon!

PS: I was also looking at the Skeeters Pee. That looks good too!! lol. I have an
Amarone kit i started at a few days ago and the Dragons blood starting today!

That is true but if I recall, the original called for 96oz. I believe the page 1 recipe is the "changed" one.

Followed recipe exactly. Used lemon juice.
Just tastes like raspberry mad dog, Boone's farm, or cough syrup.

Followed recipe exactly. Used lemon juice.
Just tastes like raspberry mad dog, Boone's farm, or cough syrup.

Not sure what to make of that. I have made quite a bit of this and always turned out well, for what it is.

You do know this is not a dry red wine or anything of the like? It is more what I like to call a "wine cooler on steroids".

That is true but if I recall, the original called for 96oz. I believe the page 1 recipe is the "changed" one.

I forgot DJ about the recipe using 960z of lemon juice. I lost my original copy a couple of years ago in a spill on my bench so my earliest copy is the recipe that's on the first page now. But I have always used 32-40+oz of lemon or a combination of lemon and lime juice.

Will

I made the original recipe back in June and made another batch in August. The second batch had double the triple berry fruit (12#) and I added raisins and oak while it aged for a couple of months. It turned out much better IMHO! I also cut the lemon back to 32 oz instead of 48.

Hello all,

This is my first time posting. I just got started making wine this summer and have a couple kits (whites) completed, 3 more kits (reds) bulk aging and some homemade fruit wines aging as well. I'm planning to make my first batch of Dragon's Blood this weekend and am shooting for a half batch. I have everything on hand except for the yeast energizer. How important is this ingredient and what are the probable consequences of omitting it?

I forgot DJ about the recipe using 960z of lemon juice. I lost my original copy a couple of years ago in a spill on my bench so my earliest copy is the recipe that's on the first page now. But I have always used 32-40+oz of lemon or a combination of lemon and lime juice.

Will

Yep, most of us, and I believe Dave included, found that was wayyyyy too much lemon so he adjusted the recipe accordingly. I believe he still calls for 1lb. of fruit per gal. but most of us up that to 1 1/2 - 2lbs. per gal.

Hello all,

This is my first time posting. I just got started making wine this summer and have a couple kits (whites) completed, 3 more kits (reds) bulk aging and some homemade fruit wines aging as well. I'm planning to make my first batch of Dragon's Blood this weekend and am shooting for a half batch. I have everything on hand except for the yeast energizer. How important is this ingredient and what are the probable consequences of omitting it?

I made mine without energizer. I dont rate my own wines, but the feedback is that its amazing... so i guess omitting it didnt hurt.

Hello all,

You have the nutrients but not the energizer?

You have the nutrients but not the energizer?

The product I have is both Energizer/Nutrient. So, are they all both? my fruit wine starter equipment kit cam with a product of each. I just use like an extra 1/4 tsp of the product that is both.

The product I have is both Energizer/Nutrient. So, are they all both? my fruit wine starter equipment kit cam with a product of each. I just use like an extra 1/4 tsp of the product that is both.

That sounds fine, I believe that as long as you have the nutrients, you'll should be good. If you didn't have anything at all to feed your yeast, you could have an issue.

I do have nutrient, but I don't recall it stating that it is both nutrient and energizer. I was under the perception that they were 2 different products. I'll take a closer look at the label when I get home. So far all of my fermentations have taken off fine with just the nutrient, including raspberry, blackberry and wild grape wines from scratch.

Thanks for the feedback. This forum is really helpful and informative.

I do have nutrient, but I don't recall it stating that it is both nutrient and energizer. I was under the perception that they were 2 different products. I

They are two different products. Not sure what the above mentioned combo is.

I'll post a picture later. if I remember.

Darn, i cut the lemon juice down like he said but didn't add anymore fruit than what the original calls for. I bet it would be better with a bit more fruit. But since this is my first dragon blood, and i only did a 3 gallon batch, i will see how we like and then adjust next time.

I was also looking at the Skeeter pee recipe. That looks darn good too! Any preference which is better? I think i will give that one a try next!

you can add some of the concentrate "berry blend" as an F-pak (with some sorbate and k-meta). to add flavor, sweetness, and stabilization... during the aging process, or just before bottling.

It seems like my ferment is very slow to start. Is that normal. Its been a bit over 24 hrs since i pitched the yeast. Just a small amount of foam but no noticeable fizzing.. Thanks!

GO CUBS

cubs logo.jpg

Back