Dandelion metheglin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArdenS

Reaction score
Last night I started a 1-gal batch of dandelion metheglin using 3 lb local wildflower honey, 2 qt of dandelion petals, and Lalvin D-47. Starting SG was a hair under 1.1. The yeast is cooking away this morning. I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out.

I started with Jack Keller's recipe, although I diverged from it so much I'm not sure I can blame him if it doesn't work (probably couldn't anyway). I eliminated his raisins, orange juice & zest, lemon juice & zest, pectic enzyme, and acid blend (honey is acidic enough already).

I must say, getting 2 qts of dandelion petals took longer than I anticipated! My fingernails are still stained!

For Keller's recipe see:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request180.asp

I did a 3 gallon batch of wine a few years back and am still hurting from being bent over for all the plucking!

The dandelion metheglin is clearing well, beautiful yellow color. I sneaked a sip; it could be a little sweeter for my taste, but I'll let it keep sitting in secondary before I make any adjustments.

When and if you sweeten this be careful because as meads age they tend to taste sweeter.

Thanks, vcasey. I have noticed that, although sometimes called honey wines, meads tend to have some interesting differences from wines, either grape or fruit. That's one reason I've started playing around with meads lately.

Back