RJ Spagnols Cru Select Brunello

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
I bottled the RJ Spagnoles Cru Select Brunello that I made approx. 1 year ago, about three weeks ago, this wine aged in an oak barrel for approx 6 months, plus I made a few small adjustments such as adding Tannin Riche 3 weeks prior to bottling, it really lacked that astringency that I enjoy in a Brunello.

I opened a bottle today with dinner, and although I was happy with the wine, it didn't have the "WOW" factor, after decanting for 30 mins or so it is absolutely amazing, I cannot wait to try it after another 6 months to a year....if it lasts that long...

Now the puzzling part....I wanted to buy this kit for a friend that is just getting into wine making, I really want to start him off with a kit, and work him up to juice buckets, or fresh grapes, but I cannot find it anywhere?
I came across a post that said that RJ Spagnoles changed the name to Sangiovese?

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?
I do realize that there are probably better kits in the premium category that I could get him, but to be honest, this kit came out as good as the commercial Brunello that I have bought, my theory is...if it isn't broken, why fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I remember reading recently that RJS has changed the name of a couple of their kits to more accurately describe what is in the box. I remember that the Brunello was changed to Sangiovese because that has always been a sore spot with me. I have posted on here a number of times that it is not accurate to say that one is making a "Brunello" (even though I have used that description). This is one of my very favorite wines and I know a little about it. I spent a number of days in Montalcino visiting wineries there which made Brunello di Montalcino. I learned that Brunello is made from the best Sangiovese grapes from a particular harvest and it goes through a defined aging and quality monitoring process. There are years in which the vintage was substandard and no Brunello is made by a vintner. There are also cases where vintners start out to make Brunello and during the aging and monitoring processes find that it is not developing as required so they re-designate it Rosso di Montalcino. The point is, one does not now it is Brunello until it is though the process and meets the standards set by the vintner and the DOCG designation. I am fairly sure they did the same with Barolo, renaming it more accurately Nebbiolo.

Rocky thanks, good points...it just sounds so less appealing as Sangiovese...LOL

Sangiovese

We,makes a good easy to lern kit ,whether its the sangiovese or any other,if your going to teach then i would take the bacis kit and instill the proper proceedures to start,if that works out when all's said and do and your friend wants to move on then any big red will do ..............

Tom,

I will check a local HBS here in CT as they only sell RJS kits, or that it their primary line.
I will let you know....

Varis,
Thanks, what is the website that you use to buy your kits, if I recall correctly, their prices were reasonable?
I might grab another for myself as well.
Thanks!

It looks indeed that they changed the name but also found some sites still selling the "older" kit.

yeah Tom, it is in Monroe, about 20 miles from me (closer to you than M&M, go to maltosecart.com) but very nice store, lots of "toys"...hehe

It is not listed on their site but give them a call.
I saw kits over there where they didn't have them listed online.

Last edited:
BTW, is this a 16L kit with NO grape skins pack?

Tom, here is a brief article from a newsletter that I get from "Grapestompers" (www.grapestompers.com) in North Carolina.

RJ Spagnols recently announced that as part of the agreement between the
European Community and Canada on trade in wine and spirit drinks, RJS craft
winemaking is proactively changing all names of wines that imply geographical
indications. Below are some changes that you can expect to see on RJ
Spagnols products on the grapestompers’ web site.
​
Johannisberg Riesling will be changed to Riesling

​
Piesporter will be changed to Piesporter Style

​
Chianti will be changed to Sangiovese Merlot

​
Barolo will be changed to Nebbiolo

​
Brunello will be changed to Sangiovese

​
Amarone will be changed to Amarone Style

​
Valpolicella will be changed to a Valpola

​
Liebfraumilch will be changed to Liebfraumilch Style

​
Soave will be changed to Garganega

These changes will occur as the new kit names arrive in the grapestompers​
warehouse.

It is my understanding that the change from Brunello to Sangiovese was a worldwide legal requirement originating from Italy that Brunello can only be produced in Italy. Therefore if this wine from the Sangiovese grapes is not produced in Italy it can not be called Brunello. Other brands of wine kits have gone through the same thing. Here in Costa Rica, the country is going through a cheese thing with Europe. For example, they do not want CR to be able to call their mozzerello cheese by that name.

Much like you never see a kit wine called Chateauneuf du Pape...I think the kit companies lost a legal dispute with the French over what they called their southern Rhone style blends. It makes sense, though calling it Brunello seems to imply a lot more than just Sangiovese would.

Latest posts

Back