RJ Spagnols Cru Select Australian Chardonnay Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pracz

Reaction score
Hi all -

I started this kit on Sunday night. Overnight the fermentation really took off and a nice cap formed. The smell was fantastic. Today I noticed the cap start to diminish. Can I assume this is normal or should I be concerned?

Thanks!

Pete

It is doing what it is supposed to do. Does it smell wonderful?
smiley1.gif
Are you stirring daily?

Smells great!!! I shall stir tonight. Because this kit called for the yeast to be sprinkled on top rather than reconstituted, I wanted to give it a day or so to get going.

Speaking of stirring, should I stop stirring a day or so before racking to let the lees settle a bit?

Personally I wouldn't stir this kit unless the sg is not dropping (which it sounds like it is). If it still comes with an oaktea bag(I know it did a couple of years ago), I would just turn the floating oak bag over and swish it around a bit.

Steve

cpfan said:
Personally I wouldn't stir this kit unless the sg is not dropping (which it sounds like it is). If it still comes with an oaktea bag(I know it did a couple of years ago), I would just turn the floating oak bag over and swish it around a bit.

Steve

Yep. It came with the oak tea bag. Thanks to all for the advise!

Steve - How did you like this kit? Do you have any tasting notes on it? Just curious.

Regards,

Pete

Pete:

Sorry, I'm not a Chardonnay fan and have not made that kit for myself. I used to run an LHBS (Ferment on Premises) and retained mynotes from Spagnols.

However, in general, I liked the Cru Select kits, although these days En Primeur would probablybe a better choice.

Steve

So...I guess I did not have much to worry about. It has been 5 days and the SG is at 1.014. That seems like a really fast fermentation. The directions state that it could take 14 days. Does it take a while to drop that last bit to the .996 level?

Yes, it is snapped with the air lock. I have been stirring once a day. Do you think I should continue to do this?

Actually if you started this on 2/7, I would transfer to glass on 2/14 as long as the SG is 1.0 or less. You can give it a gentle stir if you want.Include as much as you can including oak chips and lees. Fill the carboy up to within 3-4 inches from the top. Put the airlock on and let it go for another 12 days or so till its done in secondary.

I usually follow the RJS 14 day instructions and do not have a tight fitting lid. During that time, there is so much outgassing that you are fully protected from oxidation. Matter of fact, if you choose to go to secondary, you usually have a much harder time degassing when the time comes.

Oh, and there is no need to stir every day unless there is a problem. The yeast know what to do. Stirring can create a problem with oxidation, so just don't do it if it's not needed.

Latest posts

Back