WineXpert CRP help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZSHJ

Junior
Reaction score
I have the WE CRP going and it seems to be slow or stuck, I have followed the directions to the t. I am on the seccond step and waiting to get the SG down to 1.020 before I rack for the first time and it seems to be stalled at 1.024.I started the kit on 10/23 andmy SG was 1.131 and added the chaptalisation kit on 10/30 with anSG of 1.014. after chaptalisation the SG was 1.032. I have a brew belt on my primary and it is holding at 76-78 degrees(stick on thermomoter). Should I just be patient or is it time to be thinking of a starter.(11/8 SG= 1.028 / 11/12 SG=1.026 / 11/14 SG=1.024 /11/15 SG=1.024 / 11/17 SG= 1.024.) Please help. If a new starter in needed can I get some help with that to!!!!!

There was another thread a few weeks back about CRPs slowing down and seeming to get stuck.... general outcome was give it a good stir, in fact, stir the living heck out of it. You will want to bring up the sediment from the bottom and get that chaptalization sugar really mixed in there. The aeration of the stirring will revitalize some of the not yet spent yeast and help with that last stage of fermentation. I made sure to stir religiously after chaptalizing and had good results on mine.

And, the external temp of 78 degrees with the stick-on will mean the internal temps are going to be a little higher. You don't want to get it too hot. I'd say take off the brew belt and give it a hearty stir each day and see if that doesn't kick start things a bit for you.

Try that a few days and then if it's still stuck -- recommendations in past situations where it is truly stuck have been to rack onto the lees of a previously hearty primary fermentation of some other kit or batch. If you haven't got another kit on the go ready to transfer to secondary, then (my personal idea, not anything sanctioned by anyone!!) start fermenting some raspberry juice or grape juice and get the yeast going really really well for 3 or 4 days and then slowly add some of that as a 'starter' -- a simple yeast starter won't be enough to take the higher alcohol already in your CRP batch.

The directions are less than adequate for this kit. Here are some things for you to consider...

You can expect the primary ferm to take AT LEAST 7 days. Mine took 9+. The temperature of the must needs to be at or above 75 but not 80. After day 5, I pummeled this kit each day for at least two minutes. By day 9, my S.G. was 1.013. My starting S.G. was 1.130.

Yeast has many life cycles so stirring the must will help the ferm along nicely.

One other recommendation....when its time to degass you can expect it to take a lot longer than the 5 mins directed by the instructions. Mine had a ton of CO2.....by the time I was done adding the F-Pack I had drained the battery on a Rigid 18 volt drill.

Keep the temp steady.....stir it daily...you will be below 1.020 in no time

best of luck

Yep stir it up good and get the temp up and keep it up until fermentation is finished. Get some 02 into the wine to make your yeast happier. These are instructions taken from the mouth of the technical adviser from W.E.

Wow, thanks for the quick responces, I will hit it with my drill for a few minutes a day for the next few days and hope for some change. If tha does not seem to work I do have a Sonoma cab in a carboy with a ton of lees but it has been sulfited and cleared allready would the yeast in the lees still be good? Also, My 3 Ga Carboy is brand new, do I dare move the brew belt on to it the way it is, or should i try to indulate it from the glass with some thin silicone matting ie Sil-pat

k-meta = bad for fermenting wines
DO NOT be gentle. Rack it to the 3 gallon container and then pick it up and pour it back in the fermenter once or twice a day. Really mix that baby up, keep it warm and next year you'll be enjoying through out the holiday season.
VC

Z, stir the beejeebees out of it. I just went thru this problem and stirring it every day for a couple of days did the trick.
smiley4.gif

Make sure your temp is around 72 - 75 degrees. Those yeasties like it warm.

I will not make any guarantees but Ii have been using brew belts on carboys(even 3 gallon 1's) for many years now with no problems at all.

Still stalled. WE says they will be replacing it for me, what a great company. The suggest racking and stabilizing anyway. How sweet will this be.

What you can do is rack it and leave it alone once you rack the new one off the lees rack this one back on those lees and see what happens.
VC

Latest posts

Back