Cranberry Wine and MLF

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done an MLF to a fruit wine?

Didn't have time to check the TA but will try to get to it tonight. Had a pH of 2.61 and added Pot Bicarb and got to a pH of 3.42 prior to starting fermentation. Hadn't really thought about doing an MLF until the last couple of nights. I'll get to checking the pH and TA again tonight and see what they are. Primary fermentation is getting close to complete. I've never done an MLF before so just wondering if it would be completely off base with a fruit wine.

Thanks!

The big question (one I could not answer) is this.. Does the fruit you are using have an abundance of malic acid??? If so, then I do not see any reason why MLF would not be beneficial (unless it raises your PH too much).

How do you know what it has for Malic Acid? How do you determine when to do an MLF and when not to?

I'll get more info tonight with regards to the TA and pH, I just know the must was very acidic prior to adjustments and cranberry juice in general can be very tart. I'd prefer not to have the tartness carry over to the wine and if an MLF would help smooth it out, I'm all for it. Also, I'd be able to learn about MLF on a wine that at most I have $10.00 invested in, instead of screwing up a grape wine. Hoping to get into fresh grapes/juices next year, so experimenting now.

I did a little research and, as it turns out, cranberries are very high in malic acid. I take it that MLF would help to soften up the tartness.

The one thing I need to ask is this.. What is your level of SO2? MLB is very sensitive to SO2..

I added a 1/4 tsp to 6 gallons must prior to starting fermentation on Saturday. I can check that tonight as well. Picked up the SC 300 over xmas break and have played with it a little bit. I'll post all of the results tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

I would suggest checking the wine with a Paper Chromatograpy kit to determine if indeed there is Malic present as well as being able to check to determine if the MLF indeed finished.

I had an apple wine undergo MLF (not intentionally). Actually, it softened nicely and came out really nice as a dry wine. I don't dare sweeten it now as it's too risky to use sorbate, so I'm going to enjoy it dry.

But back to you question - I noticed a flyer about a chromatography column and they tested acids in cranberry as the demonstration. They list 3 acids and the chromatogram shows these amounts:

Quinic Acid 11.7 mg/g
Malic Acid 5.5 mg/g
Citric Acid 21.7 mg/g

So, at least in this sample, there is an appreciable amount of malic acid but it isn't the major acid.

Here's the flyer: http://www.dionex.com/en-us/webdocs/87552-AB112-IC-OrganicAcids-31Mar2011-LPN2560-01.pdf

I was doing some research on this and actually found you on another forum Greg discussing Sorbate after MLF, busy man!

I also found some info regarding citric acid and MLF. As you have shown in the charts, a lot of the acid or tartness of cranberry may be due to citric acid. From what I have read, MLF good result in the citric acid being converted to acetic acid? Do you guys have any experience with that?

Thinking now that that could be the reason there are not too many MLF's done on fruit wines. I'd hate to chance it and have this turn to vinegar. Maybe backsweetening at the end will be the way to go.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ah, yes - you are right. Citric acid can be metabolized to acetic acid. I don't know how much of it converts. I doubt it would convert it all. That would be very bad. This is why I never recommend using acid blend containing citric acid for wines one plans to do MLF on.

Racked the cranberry off of the lees this weekend and its still slowly bubbling in the carboy. SG was at 1.000, pH was at 3.36, and TA was at 0.71. I don't think I'm going to try an MLF so I'll let it finish and see how it mellows out as it ages.

Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back