WineXpert Cracked carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehammonds

Reaction score
My luck lately. Opened my replacement six gallon glass carboy and inspected it. Found a small crack at the bottom. I filled it with water to see if the pressure would cause it to further crack. It didn't. Should I pitch it or do you think it may be safe? Getting too common with these glass carboys.

Btw: I could recover from some scratches and blood loss from a shatter, but probably not from the loss of red mountain cab that's been bulk aging for six months.

Not from direct experience but from an abundance of caution I'd pitch the cracked carboy.

Is it a crack or a line caused by the mold it was made in? I know many of the chinese carboys have a line that resembles a crack. But it hasn't caused me any problems. You can tell it was formed during the molding if the crack doesn't go all the way through the glass.

I would be a little careful with it never the less.

I totally agree with Greg. Many carboys appear to be cracked in the bottom, but it merely an imperfection in the glass surface. Check it out carefully before throwing it out.

I can feel the crack along the bottom. I see little imperfections in the glass elsewhere, but think this is a true crack. Think I'll pitch it :(

Use it but get some type of tub that it would fit in so if it does break you don't have a mess

take a picture, I did have one crack all the way round the bottom once, I noticed some wetness on a table full of glass carboys and noticed a line running around the bottom of a carboy, slid it off the table into a bucket but I was like you, much more worried about what was in it then getting cut! Better bottles dont crack so easy:) WVMJ

Great info. Mine were purchased from Midwest. The one that shattered was reported to them. No questions asked, they sent a replacement, albeit with the crack in it. Could've been from shipping though. Their customer service through this was awesome. Only ordering ones that are clearly marked as Italian from now on.

I would mention that the carboy I talked about in the chinese carboy thread seems to be just fine. I have used it over and over and it has not broken. I have determined it is just a manufacturing mark (defect?) that does not seem to affect the integrity of the carboy.

But, as always, examine yours carefully and err on the side of caution.

Back