Crabapple harvest time?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, I did 3 Gals last year out of 30ish Lbs (I think). Sorry, I probably didn't write that intelligently :re This year I'm hoping to get 5-6 Gals of juice - but I also have made 2 batches of apple butter, and 2 of applesauce. Plus there will probably be jelly or somesuch. Gotta feed the family!

Last year it was all crabs from the same tree - no blending required. This year I am not sure what I will do. The not-crabs are very low on acid just going by taste, so I think they will need the acid boost from the crabs. I need to be a bit more adventurous with the spices this year too - I was so cautious last year after hearing about batches that came out tasting like just cloves, etc. that I really under-did them.

Since it was my first year making ANY wine at all, I'm giving myself a hall-pass. This year, however, it had better be PERFECT. Just kidding, this is only the beginning!

You'll do fine. I keep 3 cinnamon sticks in the carboys for apple at all times and replace them at each racking. 1-2 cloves for me and thats perfect. I don't want to be able to taste clove upfront.

So Dan, if I can summarize....

5 pounds per gallon, separating the tart crabs from the regular apples.

3 cinnamon sticks and 1 or 2 cloves per carboy, replaced at each racking

Mash the apples with a sanitized 2x4 (do you core first?). I'll probably have to invite myslef over to Doug's to use his press on the rest of the mash.

Apples are to be bagged and frozen (for how long?) before processing.

MOST IMPORTANT - Don't listen to Julie when she mentions power tool attachements....

First off your mixing up Crabs with regular apples.
Below is a picture of 150 lbs of crab apples I washed and froze a few days ago and also my shredder/press.

Crabapples 8.16.13.jpg

apple cider press.jpg

Gotta say, a dry crabapple wine blended with sweet concord, equal amounts, makes one awesome blend, and a pretty rose-colored blend. Patiently watching the crabbie in the front yard, and watching for the attack of the birds. The birds tell me they are ripe and about three days later the fruit starts falling. I swear it is a scene from Alfred Hitchcock some years.

Okay, last night I got 2 six gallon buckets full of crab apples from a friend (and he unleashed his killer bee on me - ouch). I was able to put the contents of one bucket into gallon freezer zip locks and into the freezer, and will do the other bucket tonight.

What I need to know is: how long to freeze them, and a recipe. I'll take the advice and sanitize my Louisville slugger and mash the buggers after they are frozen for a bit.

Did you destem. As you can see in the picture I just rinsed and froze in trays and pails. No bags this year and I left the stems on. No recipe, Im just going to ferment out for now and will age until I decide what to do with it.

I started to destem, then got bored with that, then just bagged and froze.

I'll mash them, siphon off the juice , then go to Doug's and have him squeeze the must for me.

Hey folks, not to hijack the thread (sorry), but I crushed and pressed my apples on Saturday morning. Popped in some Pectic and let it sit in a primary fermenter till this morning (tuesday). I pop it open to put in my campden tabs and there is mold floating on top!?! WTF? It's only been a couple of days!

I used a strainer on it and got every stray bugger, then siphoned it into a carboy with campden.

Does anyone know:
a) why it molded so fast?
b) will it still be ok to use? The mold was in round, floating pieces about an eighth of an inch in size for the biggest.

This is the same sort of time schedule I used last year - I'm really hoping I won't have to pitch it out!

Why would you crush and not add meta "or" yeast immediately? You either need to preserve it or ferment it, especially in this how weather. I am not surprised that it began to mold. How big of a batch is it? I wish people would throw those campden tablet away. There is no way your getting it equally dispersed just by popping in tablets instead of disolving k-meta powder and stirring it in.

Hey Runningwolf,
Last year I let it sit in a carboy for a couple of days and there was no issue...so I didn't think much of it to be honest. It's 3.5 gallons.

Also, when I added the campden today I crushed it to powder and stirred it into the juice.

As Running Wolf said, plus, you only filtered out the fruiting bodies you can see, its still full of mold cells you are going to have to keep an eye on it and not let the KM levels fall. WVMJ

Hey folks, not to hijack the thread (sorry), but I crushed and pressed my apples on Saturday morning. Popped in some Pectic and let it sit in a primary fermenter till this morning (tuesday). I pop it open to put in my campden tabs and there is mold floating on top!?! WTF? It's only been a couple of days!

I used a strainer on it and got every stray bugger, then siphoned it into a carboy with campden.

Does anyone know:
a) why it molded so fast?
b) will it still be ok to use? The mold was in round, floating pieces about an eighth of an inch in size for the biggest.

This is the same sort of time schedule I used last year - I'm really hoping I won't have to pitch it out!

OK, since my freezer went, I am forced to smash the dolgos that I have had frozen for the past 2 years. I'm figuring about 100 pounds total. Thawed and smashed 5 bags worth today and added pectic enzyme to break them down. I'll smash 3 more buckets worth tomorrow.

Assuming I get about 6 gallons of juice, should I blend with some apple juice or apple juice blend, and if I add cinnamon and cloves, how long to keep them in before racking off?

ok first off i already know I'm a butter knife in a drawer full of steak knives,
with that being said, what kind of cloves are you talking about,
Dawg

OK, since my freezer went, I am forced to smash the dolgos that I have had frozen for the past 2 years. I'm figuring about 100 pounds total. Thawed and smashed 5 bags worth today and added pectic enzyme to break them down. I'll smash 3 more buckets worth tomorrow.

Assuming I get about 6 gallons of juice, should I blend with some apple juice or apple juice blend, and if I add cinnamon and cloves, how long to keep them in before racking off?

ok first off i already know I'm a butter knife in a drawer full of steak knives,
with that being said, what kind of cloves are you talking about,
Dawg

Most likely whole cloves. Don't use too many as they can overpower some of the other flavors. While I am at it, use cinnamon sticks, not powder. The powder works fine, just keeps falling out of the wine even when you think it is clear. At least that is how is has worked for me. Arne.

ok time for you to see how dim i am,,,
garlic cloves?
Dawg

Most likely whole cloves. Don't use too many as they can overpower some of the other flavors. While I am at it, use cinnamon sticks, not powder. The powder works fine, just keeps falling out of the wine even when you think it is clear. At least that is how is has worked for me. Arne.

Latest posts

Back