Other Covey run Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyandkory

Reaction score
Covey Run Riesling is my wife's favorite wine.

I was hoping to get a kit that would produce a similar wine.

here is what their website says
2009 Quail Series Riesling

quail-2009-riesling.jpg
Background

Since the release of the 1982 vintage, Covey Run has crafted high quality, price worthy wines from Washington's Columbia River Valley, wines that have been embraced by consumers and journalists alike. Led by winemaker Kate Michaud, Covey Run's portfolio includes delicious wines for every occasion, from stylish entertaining, to casual gatherings and picnics with family and friends.
Harvest & Winemaking

Weather during the 2009 growing season was unique for Washington. A cool spring delayed bud break. Cooler temperatures continued until just prior to bloom, but at the onset of bloom, temperatures were above normal.
This sudden change in weather resulted in small, concentrated berries and vines with smaller canopies, which allowed the ideal amount of partial sunlight onto ripening clusters. The summer heat continued until September with very little rainfall during the growing season. These optimal conditions accelerated fruit ripening and elevated berry sugar levels.
A hard frost came in early October. Canopies were lost, but fruit quality was not affected as the berries had already developed high sugars and ripe flavors. The unique 2009 growing season resulted in ripe, concentrated fruit.
Wine Description

This wine offers scents of white jasmine blossoms with fresh kefir lime, nectarines and apricots on the palate. Well balanced, refreshing acidity.

$9.00 Per Bottle

Technical Data

Appellation: 100% Columbia Valley
Varietal: 100% Riesling
Alcohol: 12.17%
T.A.: 7.00 g/L pH: 2.97
Residual Sugar: 24.5 g/L
Bottling Date: August 2010

Thank you if any one has any ideas.

Tony

Tony:

The only Washington state Riesling I can recall is the Cellar Craft Showcase one...

From the Vineco site:
Riesling Yakima Valley
Cellar Craft Showcase Sugar Code: 1

Washington is renowned for producing the best Rieslings in the US. Cherry Hill Vineyard produces the best Riesling that we have experienced in Washington. Cherry Hill Riesling displays the classic intense perfume of green apple, pear and lime with a crisp acidity that defines great Riesling. It also has an opulently textured personality built around a pronounced orange blossom bouquet and spicy notes that together evoke thoughts of candied tangerine. A stunning wine that reaches heights we have not before seen. With this treasure in our cellars it was clear that we had to revamp our blend to pack even more of the pure juice into each kit so that our customers could experience the maximum impact that this wine delivers. Serve lightly chilled with a wide variety of foods including fowl, pork and sea foods. Ideal with Chinese and Thai dishes.

I know I've seen the Covey Run riesling back when I lived out west (prior to Sept 2008), but I don't recall trying it. I also haven't made this kit (yet).

Steve

Tony,

There is a winexpert kit: Selection Estate Washington Columbia Valley Riesling

The Columbia Valley produces many prestigious wines from their world class Riesling grapes. Delicate yet complex, Rieslings grown here offer pronounced ripeness while retaining acidity, showing fantastic floral aromas and flavours of peach and apricot, while still maintaining a crisp freshness. This vivid fruitiness is enhanced by Winexper's unique new ssse-reserve finishing pack, making this Riesling a unique and proud addition to our Estate Series line.
Sweetness: Off-Dry | Body: Medium | Oak Intensity: None

I haven't done it myself, but tried made by someone else. It was amazing. For myself, I selected Kenridge Founder's Series Germany Mosel River Valley Riesling.

For myself, I selected Kenridge Founder's Series Germany Mosel River Valley Riesling.
wookey...

Some neighbours had this kit way back 2006-2007 (at a bit of a guess). Very nice. Been wanting to make it for myself. Unfortunately, I believe it has now been discontinued.

Steve

Steve,

I think it is still available. At least in the UK. I received mine just few days ago.
Kenridge is quite new for the UK market. We have plenty of European kit producers, but they do not make high-end kits. The best of them are comparable with Selection Original or Selection International. So, before Kenridge Founder's series if you are really after a high quality kit, your only choice here was Winexpert. To be honest, I did not know much about Kenridge before, just decided to give it a try. And I do like commercial German Riesling.

Wookey

Last edited:
I think it is still available. At least in the UK. I received mine just few days ago.
Wookey:

It probably is still available in many stores. I'm pretty sure that kit was on the discontinued list that I saw at the end of February. [BTW, I shop at the Vineco Factory Store.] That means they won't be making any more.

Steve

I'm pretty sure that kit was on the discontinued list that I saw at the end of February.

Steve,

Oh, then it is a bad news. I would prefer to have a wider selection of the kits. Do you know any reasons for that decision? Do you happen to know the fate of France Languedoc Grenache-Syrah-Mourvedre? I haven't planned to do it until next year, but if it is going to go, I can move it forward.

Wookey

Steve,

Oh, then it is a bad news. I would prefer to have a wider selection of the kits. Do you know any reasons for that decision? Do you happen to know the fate of France Languedoc Grenache-Syrah-Mourvedre? I haven't planned to do it until next year, but if it is going to go, I can move it forward.

Wookey
Wookey...I have no interest in that kit, so wouldn't have noticed it on the list.

Vineco acquired Cellar Craft in Oct 2011. I think some of the discontinuations are rationalization of the combined product lines.

Steve

Latest posts

Back