Course of Action

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to bottle and taste my very first batch of wine! (Of course saving some for when it is actually "ready")
Make a batch of Pinot Noir (my husband's fav)
Make a red and white fruit wine for the summer months (to help me in aging the Syrah I have working and Pinot Noir I am thinking about starting)
Try out a white wine (not a huge white drinker...yet, but I want to be well rounded you know
smiley2.gif
)

I guess that's it for my first year of winemaking and expecting to be moving this year. I don't want to make a ton of wine and have to worry about moving it!!! I guess my idea of easing into this hobby is 5-6 kits my first year!!! lol!

Update now that we're about 13% through the year...

One of six planned blind tasting events completed. March seems to be rather crazy, so it looks like April will be the next tasting. That will leave eight months for the other four. The next tasting may be an 'American Cheapies' theme with wines between $8-14.99.

The tickets are all purchased for the trip to Spain and France with three nights in Bordeaux and the rest of the time in different spots in Spain. I will be addressing different wineries in both countries.

My different dry whites are gaining some age and should be targets for blending on or after June of this year. I am going to take some stock of current red blending options this weekend. This will help to clear out some carboys as well.

Kevin Zraly's Window to the World Wine Course book awaits for more information about different European terroirs. I will be addressing the section on Spain and Bordeaux before the May trip.

How is everyone else doing?

- Jim

I started on my project this past week. The OB Banana Pineapple Viognier was started on Thursday and is bubbling (and smelling very nice). Once completed I'll follow the course as planned which is to sparkle half and mix half with a bottle coconut rum. Really looking forward to my first sparkling wine!

Since we're now 30% through the year of 2010, here's the update on the yearly goals...

Two of six blind wine tasting events completed (Zin/Petite Sirah and Southern Hemisphere red).

The Spain/France trip happens in two weeks from today and the current proposed iternary shows tasting of Sherry in the south of Spain, wine in Rioja and/or Ribera del Duero, and wine in all of the different areas of Bordeaux.

After we return from the trip, I will be blending a Cabernet and Merlot and checking the status of the different whites to see if they are ready for blending.

Kevin Zraly's book comes out now in prep for the trip.

How is everyone else doing?

- Jim

My sparkling wine project is completed, even the bottles are labeled. I just waiting for the foil wraps for the tops and then we'll be all ready to enjoy them during my son's graduation party.
I finally finished researching another project, Caramel Apple Wine which I'll be starting this weekend or next.

I'm still waiting to hit that Powerball Lottery so no La Bodega Port kit yet...

Al Fulchino said:
i hope we get to see pics from your trip Jim

I'll work something up for the pictures - they'll be posted close to the beginning of June.

- Jim

Back from the trip and currently trying to stay awake to adjust back to the Central Time schedule. I'll attempt to get some pictures worked up tomorrow.

- Jim

Latest posts

Back