Counter top help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimbaliw

8 year veteran
Reaction score
OK, we're getting ready for new kitchen counter tops. Your input is appreciated as we're getting overwhelmed. I prefer quartz as I'm pretty aggressive in the kitchen. I am, however, open to all ideas for product and color. SWAMBO has decreed that the cabinets, back splash and wallpaper stay. The neighborhood favorite is first.

iron-ore.jpg

DSC_0002 (2).jpg

DSC_0004 (2).jpg

DSC_0005 (2).jpg

Granite is the rage but I still don't believe it is worth the money. You could switch out 3-4 formica tops for the price of one of the granite. Realtors tell me they help sell a house but you don't recoup the cost. I like the quartz and other solid surface tops over granite and they are lighter although the cost can be close. Just my personal opinion.

If that wallpaper and backsplash are staying, you need something with a relatively quiet pattern. In other words, no crazy, swirly granite.

Quartz is a fine idea, especially for the reason you state. Dan made several good points with which I agree.

I put in soapstone countertops (and did the fabrication and installation myself). This material has many positive attributes (no staining, impervious to heat). It does scratch easily, however, although they can be buffed out if desired, and the fine scratches quickly form a nice "patina."

I've had both granite and quartz. I am also kind of a warrior in the kitchen and the quartz holds up really nicely. It doesn't require polishing and buffing very often either.

granite is also very heavy. I've seen older homes that flooring had to be beefed up. Also if you have more than one piece, they don't always match. I'm old fashion, I still like formica. Maybe consider a drop in piece like butcher block or something ? Good luck - anything will be very nice.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted on the progress of the kitchen project.

I know I'm a little late here but ..we used Corian as an alternative to granite. The price was reasonable and plenty of color/design options

Ok I'm gonna come in with the unpopular vote, I know this already so be gentle.

You say the cabinets are staying but didn't say anything about refinishing them.

I would at least price out finishing the cabinets in a black or very dark stain and some stainless hardware. Then hand build a custom red oak counter top. Either butcher block or natural edge slab finished off with epoxy resin.
I think this look against the existing back splash and stainless appliances would be stellar. The wall paper on the other hand, well each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making Talk App

We remodeled our kitchen about 6 years ago and did maple cabinets with cherry crown molding and trim. It looks stunning! So much so that we replaced a railing on our stairway and did the same thing. Couldn't be happier. The contrast is a true eye catcher.

We moved from Corian to Granite about 10 years ago and are very pleased. If I were doing it today, I would probably use Quartz instead. One of the greatest benefits I see, other than aesthetics, is the invulnerability to heat. It does not scratch and all that is needed is a cutting board to protect not the granite but the knives. Corian and Formica do not offer this protection and if you have a hot pan, you have to be careful where you place it. I did not do so, but I understand that there are granite tiles (12" x 12") that offer a huge savings over the slab construction. I am not recommending this necessarily, just suggesting.

Good luck.

Thanks Rocky, I share your thoughts on quartz. I think we've found a quartz product with the sheen stripped off that looks rustic but retains the advantages of quartz. Should have the estimate tomorrow.

BC

After a spirited debate, opinions galore and a few skinned knuckles during tear out, We're done. We settled on a honed quartz. Mrs C. acquiesced to wall paper removal and as usual things always turn out. Hard to tell from this image but the green walls and the gray counters have really sucked the harsh gold out of the cabinet color. Do I wish I had that faucet in the wine area? Oh yeah!

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

Looks very nice! And you are absolutely right about the colors - looking at the before and after pics, there is a big difference without the wallpaper. (Sorry, Mrs. C)

Latest posts

Back