Corks, Zorks or Screw caps ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They can help with the artwork I believe to some extent. Shipping is sorta expensive and you will get hit a bit more being a lot further East than me. You would not think 1000 corks would be heavy but they are, and quite bulky. They backfill the bag with SO2 gas then seal it.

They have grades even on these 1+1 corks. Its worth it to just go with the top of the line as they are much nicer and not all that much more cost.

Here is mine.

20110411_200508_DSC02931.jpg

20110411_200524_DSC02932.JPG

20110411_200540_DSC02933.JPG

Very nice looking corks. Dan had given me a couple of his. I still have them sitting on the window sill in the kitchen. I'm about non-artistic as they come unfortunately. I'll have to give the artwork a shot and see what I can come up with.

I did mine myself by looking around the intertubes for the cottonwood tree artwork, then found a site that made stencils that I was able to try out different fonts. I typed in my winery name, downloaded the mock up stencil, then put it all together in Photoshop.

Done! :sm

I would say that the 49mm are probably equivalent to a 1 3/4" long cork. Based on what I remember whey they were trying to introduce the metric system there are 2.54 cm in an inch.

I have mine in 2 of the Mosti AJ buckets with a quart milk jug in the center with sulfite solution. Finally a good use for those plastic buckets!

How long have you stored corks like this before using them? How quickly did you go through the 1,000? Just trying to decide it 1,000 is to many to order for my wine making pace...

This is my first order of 1000. I suspect they will last me ~2 years. I have had them in the "corkadors" now for 5 months. Corks look great, and there is a strong odor of Sulfite when I pull the top off each time to grab corks.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like we're on similar paces. I think I'll give it a go... :h

There is also a 1+1 cork that many of us use. Its an agglomerate cork in the middle with 2 pieces of solid natural cork on either end (the end that would touch the wine). Sorta the best of both worlds. They are cheap. I paid $0.12ea in bulk. They will easily last 5 years or more as long as they are stored properly.
6380.jpg

The top of the line 1+1 from Widgetco are 45 cents each per 100, free shipping. I've had no problem with these. They also carry a "B" grade 1+1 that's somewhat less.

I have been using Zork cork for about 7 batches so far. A bit pricey but I am quite happy with it. No tools needed, just press it down with your hand or a rubber mallet. I paid $32/100 online.

IMG_0772_20131130_130839.jpg

Back