Cork size

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broge5

Reaction score
I'm about to put a port style in some Belissmo bottles I picked up on Craigslist. I have used about 10 of them for splits so far, but I noticed today on George's site that he recommends to use #7 or #8 corks. I have been using the same #9 that I was using with the full size bottles. Is this bad?

Broge5 said:
I'm about to put a port style in some Belissmo bottles I picked up on Craigslist. I have used about 10 of them for splits so far, but I noticed today on George's site that he recommends to use #7 or #8 corks. I have been using the same #9 that I was using with the full size bottles. Is this bad?

If you have a corker for #9's, use those.

#9 corks have a slightly larger diameter, so if you have a floor corker or are able to get them inserted, use them of course. #9's are all I use, I like to store most my wine for long periods of time.

Good. I'm using a floor corker, Portuguese I think. No problem getting them in the bottles.

Agree, especially with a Port wine that could be around for ~5 years or more depending on how much you make.

Insert a dime,
use a nine.

If the dimes too tight,
use an eight or it'll be a fight.

OK a poet I ain't. bk

Back