Cork problem?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefani

Twitter: @John_A_Stefani
Reaction score
When I bottle 5-6 gallon batches I bottle one or two sampler bottle (375ml) after bottling 4-5 of the 750 ml bottles I bottle. I corked them with brand new #8 corks. After I bottled and corked them I kept them vertical for 5 days before I laid them sideways on my wine rack. I bottled this batch of Island Mist Strawberry Merlot in November 2011.

This week, I examined what I call my sampler bottles. I noticed that about wine was seeping up the corks on half of the sampler bottles. None of the bottles are leaking

Does this happen because I didn't soak the corks long enough or is this normal?

See photos below:

picture.php

This one is the worst of the 7 bottles

picture.php

Here is the photo of the cork.

None the less I am consuming the contents of this bottle...

Last edited:
Sefani, two things come to mind with me. One is that you used #8 corks instead of #9. I assume this is because you're using a hand corker. The next thing is that you said you soaked them. I never soak my corks. I am wondering if maybe you soaked them too long and this is the moisture drawing out from the corks?

Sefani, two things come to mind with me. One is that you used #8 corks instead of #9. I assume this is because you're using a hand corker. The next thing is that you said you soaked them. I never soak my corks. I am wondering if maybe you soaked them too long and this is the moisture drawing out from the corks?

Well I know they were in the Meta-sulfate solution for not more than 15 minutes. Even after 3 months I would think that a #8 should still be OK. the discoloration is definitely the wine creeping up between the neck of the bottle and the cork.

When I was bottling my splits (375ml) with the #8 I saw the exact same thing. The corks are just tad narrower than the #9 and that makes all the difference. There is a little seepage. Since these were my testers that usually didn't last 6-9 months I didn't worry much.

Use #9 corks and you should not see this problem any more.

Back