Cooking with wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I went to the recipes forum looking for something to cook with wine. I'm no cook, about the best I can do is fry an egg or make a PB & J, but I would like to find something simple to cook with wine. Any ideas?

Semper Fi

Pick your favorite seafood. Clams, scallops, shrimp, sautee' in butter, garlic, touch of salt, pepper, add white wine and simmer till it thickens. Serve over linguine with some chopped green onions. Add a loaf of sourdough baguette to dip into the sauce (its that good!)

I agree with Ibglowin. I have even used regular Lemon SP to marinate/cook with on fish. Use my Hot Pepper wine to marinate chicken & fish also. Can also put Hot Pepper wine into red sauces. the old saying works "I cook with WINE, sometimes I even put it in the food" Roy Fightingtown Creek Wines

Whenever I make roast beef I like to add about a cup or more of red wine to the pot. It seems to add a little more to the flavor of the roast.

Wine can be used whenever you cook ANYTHING. I use wine when I deglaze a pan. Another is for steaks let them soak in a "big red" overnight.
Use wine when your recipe calls for water.

I've been cooking longer than making wine- I'm not very creative but read a lot and try to improvise. One thing I've learned- don't add raw wine to a finishing dish- too alcholic. Always create a reduction first and add it to your pasta sauace.- or start with the wine, reduce and create layers of flavor by adding the other ingrediants.

Beef in Borolo- excellent but real Italian Borolo is entirely out of my price range. A good batch of home-brewed Borolo would be an excellent fit for this recipe.

How would you know which is right type of wine to add, such as Merlot or sweet wine? Also as with the amount? Thanks!

depends on what you are cooking. If it asks for water = same in wine. Deglazing a pan needs only a little. If you want a steak to soak in it add enough to cover it and let it sit a few hours in the fridge.

Pick your favorite seafood. Clams, scallops, shrimp, sautee' in butter, garlic, touch of salt, pepper, add white wine and simmer till it thickens. Serve over linguine with some chopped green onions. Add a loaf of sourdough baguette to dip into the sauce (its that good!)

This is a great recipe. When I do this, I let the sauce simmer and reduce for a while (10 minutes) before adding the seafood (typically shrimp or mussels). This is basically a scampi recipe. Definitely do the pasta and baguette.

Here is a trick....

A lot of folks (who cook with wine) wonder just what wine to cook with. For example, what wine should I use, say, for a steak

I would stay with the old rule of thumb of fowl and fish use white, red meat/game/pork use red wine. (I know that this is basic for most people).

Here is the trick. Pour and serve what ever wine you are cooking with. People will marvel at just how well that particular wine you serve goes with the particular food you prepare.

if, on the other hand, you are serving fermented Welches (notice that I didn't cal it "wine"), might I suggest a peanut butter and "fluffnutter" sandwich with a side of "tater-tots"? (LOL) :)

Here is a trick....

if, on the other hand, you are serving fermented Welches (notice that I didn't cal it "wine"), might I suggest a peanut butter and "fluffnutter" sandwich with a side of "tater-tots"? (LOL) :)

hahaha.png

i used my jalapeno (apple base) the other night to deglaze after sauteing some boneless chicken breasts that i had cut into strips.

depends on what you are cooking. If it asks for water = same in wine. Deglazing a pan needs only a little. If you want a steak to soak in it add enough to cover it and let it sit a few hours in the fridge.
Thanks! let's say steak for example, what do you recommend to use in terms of types of wine? Would you say Merlot since it goes well with steak, so it should be used to marinate steak as well?

Thanks for your tips! If you don't mind me asking, what else do you recommend adding into marinating the steak?

Back