Conversion question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyT

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a conversion question. I'm adding tannin to my wine and the recommended dosage is 5-20 g/hL and I don't have a scale to measure that out. I used a conversion tool I found in the tools section on here but I just wanted to check before I added to much (you can't undo tannin additions!!!!). I converted grams to ounces, then converted ounces to tsp.
5grams=.176ounces=1.056tsp
20grams=.705ounces=4.23tsp
Can someone tell me if this correct or if I went about it all wrong, thanks!!!!

I estimate a teaspoon conservatively to be 6g. I know that's a little high though. Start with 1/2 tsp for a 6 gallon carboy and try a taste in 3-4 weeks. Do another 1/2 if it still seems light.

Just as a FYI, you are probably mixing up units. When you converted grams to ounces, that was ounces of weight. You then tacitly equated that to FLUID ounces (which is a volume) when you converted to tsp.

You'd be best off, of course, to buy a cheap scale that can measure 0.1 g. They are not very expensive at all.

Just as a FYI, you are probably mixing up units. When you converted grams to ounces, that was ounces of weight. You then tacitly equated that to FLUID ounces (which is a volume) when you converted to tsp.

You'd be best off, of course, to buy a cheap scale that can measure 0.1 g. They are not very expensive at all.

You are correct. I plan on getting a scale but my LHBS is closed until Tuesday and I had to start this batch as the fruit probably wouldn't have made it that long. I'm only making a gallon so I'm going to use either an 1/8 or 1/4tsp. This is the label. ImageUploadedByWine Making1421631076.843987.jpg

Yes, boatboy is correct in saying that 1 tsp is approx. 6 grams. Be careful how much you add--best to be conservative.

Jack Keller's website has a nice compilation of additive volume/weight conversions here. It shows grape tannin as being 2.8 g per teaspoon. I agree that it's best to add it in small increments until you achieve the desired taste.

Latest posts

Back