WineXpert "Contre Le Vent" CabSauv First Batch Journal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear you’re at the finish line, seems like you just started that cab. Not really thinking that it’s the sulfite causing any cloudiness near the bottom, it’s most likely sediment that should’ve been left behind in a previous racking, or the one you did at bottling time (right?????)
As far as being concerned about mixing your sulfite in, if you’re racking when you are sulfiting, adding it to the target carboy and racking into it has always worked for me. When sulfiting without racking, pulling 200ml into a cup, adding sulfite, mixing til dissolved, adding back to carboy, has always been successful.

Glad to hear you’re at the finish line, seems like you just started that cab. Not really thinking that it’s the sulfite causing any cloudiness near the bottom, it’s most likely sediment that should’ve been left behind in a previous racking, or the one you did at bottling time (right?????)
As far as being concerned about mixing your sulfite in, if you’re racking when you are sulfiting, adding it to the target carboy and racking into it has always worked for me. When sulfiting without racking, pulling 200ml into a cup, adding sulfite, mixing til dissolved, adding back to carboy, has always been successful.

You mentioned a possible cloudy bottle due to it being the bottom of the carboy. Due you rack your wine before bottling or just try to be very careful not to disturb it while filling.

cheers

Oops, I didn't rack again before bottling...crap! That's what it was then. Well lesson learned there. On a good note, there was little to no sediment on the bottom, just a few small patches but for the most part the bottom of the glass was clean and I could see through it. What sediment was there wasn't caked on, it was more or less a thick liquid.

Oops, I didn't rack again before bottling...crap! That's what it was then. Well lesson learned there. On a good note, there was little to no sediment on the bottom, just a few small patches but for the most part the bottom of the glass was clean and I could see through it. What sediment was there wasn't caked on, it was more or less a thick liquid.

Well "crap" Doug, what the heck.

I know, just giving you a hard time.

You scared me. I was halfway down the basement stairs to start popping 30 corks! Well at least I know for batch 2, which my pops has me convinced to bottle next week. How soon after racking can I bottle? I was going to wait another few months on batch 2 but I can't argue with him, I might have him convinced to start making wine as a retirement hobby and he wants to help and see the process while he's here.

Batch #1 in the books. Great feeling. Batch #2 not too far away. Now go bag yourself a nice big buck to get thru the winter!
I also think you stay with Bob Seger theme. I actually think “Old Time Rock N Roll” is awesome name for a wine to pair with Against the Wind. Katmandoo. Silver bullet..... just sayin....
Congrats man. Batch #3 needs to be started NOW!

Batch #1 in the books. Great feeling. Batch #2 not too far away. Now go bag yourself a nice big buck to get thru the winter!
I also think you stay with Bob Seger theme. I actually think “Old Time Rock N Roll” is awesome name for a wine to pair with Against the Wind. Katmandoo. Silver bullet..... just sayin....
Congrats man. Batch #3 needs to be started NOW!

I've already got a nice doe in the freezer that I got about a month ago. I already put the bow away for the year. The bucks eluded us this year, showing up mostly at night but it was a good thing because we have an abundance of does so when one walked by I had a perfect opportunity. Very clean shot and we use up the whole thing. I'll be making some jerky over my vacation.

Well about naming batch #2, I already had Desperado in mind (song by the Eagles). Label attached.

Attachments

• DesperadoTemplate.png
    DesperadoTemplate.png
    207 KB · Views: 12
I've already got a nice doe in the freezer that I got about a month ago. I already put the bow away for the year. The bucks eluded us this year, showing up mostly at night but it was a good thing because we have an abundance of does so when one walked by I had a perfect opportunity. Very clean shot and we use up the whole thing. I'll be making some jerky over my vacation.

Well about naming batch #2, I already had Desperado in mind (song by the Eagles). Label attached.

One of my favorite songs although I like Linda Rondstat's version better. I'm on batch 11 and when I get to 21 I'll simply name it "21". Or maybe a port and call it "Strong as I Can Be"

That was a great episode. She got shushed every time it came on if I remember correctly. LOL. It's a small world, yep that's me on Twitter. I used to film my hunts and cabin visits and what not on the side for fun, now I just keep a blog like journal on Twitter and Facebook.

I like it Fred, simple and meaningful. Speaking of "simple", I almost called this one Simple Man since that's what I am at heart but went with Desperado instead. And I swear if I ever do a Merlot I'm calling it Marilyn Merlot.

I like it Fred, simple and meaningful. Speaking of "simple", I almost called this one Simple Man since that's what I am at heart but went with Desperado instead. And I swear if I ever do a Merlot I'm calling it Marilyn Merlot.[/QUOTE]

Very creative, we should all be in advertising.

Well, there is this: http://www.marilynwines.com/ABOUT/Copyright-information

All Contents Copyright © MarilynWines.com, by Nova Wines, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Nothing in this site can be reproduced in any way or by any means.

The names Marilyn Merlot™, Marilyn™, Norma Jeane™, and the Marilyn™ images are licensed by her estate exclusively to Nova Wines, Inc. for their use on wines.

The names Marilyn Cabernet™, The Velvet Collection™, Marilyn Sauvignon Blonde™, Marilyn Red Dress™, Blonde de Noirs™, and Marilyn Meritage™ are trademarks of Nova Wines, Inc.

I don't follow the speed limit either. I'm a wine name copyright breaking criminal and I won't be shut down!

Oh, I was pretty sure I had heard of "Marilyn Merlot" some long time ago, but obviously I googled it!

Have you ever seen this site: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=marilyn+merlot It is pretty funny. Note that I am NOT using this on you now, just showing you!

You're just way too much. Don't be surprised if I show up on your door step some with a bottle of wine to drink with you.

Back