Congratulations to George!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George,

Do you happen to know what number we need to beat to get you Retailer of the Year?

- Jim

George, gratz on the medals!!!! So exciting to see your name in print and your wines to be awarded and recognized!!

George, just a suggestion, new wine makers such as myself would like to know how to go about enteringwine in a contest. Maybe in the monthly newsletter.
I would like to enter a couple of bottles for next year. Mainly for tasting notes.
smiley9.gif

For anyone interested in learning about entering wines into this competition and supporting your favorite retailer George, here is the link that contains the entry forms for this now past 2008 contest.

http://winemakermag.com/feature/543.html

Winemaker magazine should put out the information for the upcoming year's contest around the end of 2008.

- Jim

Sorry for the late response, but I did win four medals. I won gold for the Malbec, a bronze for the Reisling, bronze for the Reisling, and a bronze for the Petite Syrah. I treat all my wines in bulk fashion with extended lees contact. My Amarone' wasn't quite ready since these wines typically call for 3 years. Mine was just pushing 2 years and the tannins are still relaxing. As soon as I get my notes, I will be happy to share if someone is interested. Congrats to you George!!!! Last year was my first year to compete and I really wanted the feedback from the judges as to how well I was doing. I ended up winning gold for the Reisling out of 3 entries. This year I did some tweaking and placed 4 out of 6 entries. Edited by: jjk1991

My congratulations to John. I am going to try to find out who won medals using me as the retailer.

Now that I am back, I will try to address all of the questions.

1. <LI>As to "Retailer of the Year", all I know is I came in 6 in the U.S. and 13th overall with 21 points. My guess is that I need somewhere around 100 to get into the top 5.</LI>
    <LI>I got the tasting notes today and read through them quickly. I think the reason I did not do better was lack of age. I saw a lot of tart, bitter, young comments. I will re-enter some of the same wines next year to see how they do.</LI>
    <LI>The wines submitted were made following the manufacturer's instructions and all were about 1 year old. No tweaking of any kind. I fermented them at 75 degrees and bulk aged for about 2-3 months. All were filtered.</LI>
    <LI>Any wines count toward my total, kit or otherwise.</LI>
    <LI>I will be addressing competitions in a newsletter this summer with my schedule of gift certificates for winning wines, as well as, how much the manufacturer contributes. MM give you a free comparable kit. Since 2 of my wines were Meglioli's, I will get 2 free Megs. Not a bad deal at all.</LI>

If I missed any questions, please ask again. I am still playing catch-up!

George,
My tasting notes arrived yesterday as well - a rather disappointing lack of comments, really. Ironically, on my pinot I had one judge say "lots of tannins" and another say "v. lite body - low tannin fruit" - the challenge with a subjective judging environment, I suppose.

Can you tell what kind of scores were needed for the bronze/silvers?

- JimEdited by: JimCook

jjk1991 said:
Sorry for the late response, but I did win four medals. I won gold for the Malbec, a bronze for the Reisling, bronze for the Reisling, and a bronze for the Petite Syrah. I treat all my wines in bulk fashion with extended lees contact. My Amarone' wasn't quite ready since these wines typically call for 3 years. Mine was just pushing 2 years and the tannins are still relaxing. As soon as I get my notes, I will be happy to share if someone is interested. Congrats to you George!!!! Last year was my first year to compete and I really wanted the feedback from the judges as to how well I was doing. I ended up winning gold for the Reisling out of 3 entries. This year I did some tweaking and placed 4 out of 6 entries.
The PWP would like to extend her congratulations to you, also! Way to go!
smiley32.gif
Next year I do plan to have some wines entered. Maybe I should put them away now so that they're ready!

Latest posts

Back