Confused about the Carboy!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the record, I am writing a grant proposal right now on developing non-endocrine active BPA replacements from biorenewable resources. It is a new field for me and I'm trying to learn all I can about it. I was only considering BPA but if nearly everything has endocrine activity, it gets more complicated. Wish I knew what they were detecting.

Also, for the record, I prefer glass - this being one of several reasons.

As a university research writer, your grant intrigues me. If you get time, I'd like to hear more by PM. This is an issue out there, and I am sure I don't have to go into all the repercussions of it with you here. You know.

Well, ya learn something new everyday. I knew that PVC was used for large, municipal water lines (4"-6" water mains and larger), but I have not seen PVC used *inside* homes because it is not flexible - every bend, turn or angle requires a joint. I see no reason it can't be used in a home, except it is a lot more work to install. I think we are talking about the same thing though - PVC is frequently used to distribute/carry water over distances under pressure (in lieu of copper, lead or iron pipes), but other types of pipe (plastic and others) are used from the city tap to the inside and throughout the home (in my experience). Plastic can't be used underground in the north due to freezing and breaking of the plastic pipe.

Certain municipality building codes require copper. For no other reason than primarily needing an experienced and licensed plumber to install. Sometimes it is political.

Joe

Well, ya learn something new everyday. I knew that PVC was used for large, municipal water lines (4"-6" water mains and larger), but I have not seen PVC used *inside* homes because it is not flexible - every bend, turn or angle requires a joint. I see no reason it can't be used in a home, except it is a lot more work to install. I think we are talking about the same thing though - PVC is frequently used to distribute/carry water over distances under pressure (in lieu of copper, lead or iron pipes), but other types of pipe (plastic and others) are used from the city tap to the inside and throughout the home (in my experience). Plastic can't be used underground in the north due to freezing and breaking of the plastic pipe.

By far the largest section of the pipe department of Lowe's or Home Depot stores here is PVC and CPVC pipe and fittings. Half-inch CPVC is a popular size in homes, though I used 3/4" CPVC in my house and used 1/2" for the drops only. No sudden cold showers in my house when someone turns on the water in the kitchen! My underground lines are all 3/4" PVC.

I have used clad PEX for radiant in-floor heat in my shop, but PEX to my knowledge is not used widely for homes here. It is flexible, which allows all your stud/rafter/joist holes and whatnot to be jacklegged in crooked and still have the pipe work, so it saves contractors money on hiring skilled labor. I know that from a home builder friend in Maine who has used it because of the lower labor costs.

The only time water touches metal at my farm now is when it comes out of the well pressure tank through a brass tee and when it hits the faucet or hydrant.

Bury depth here is just 2 feet, though I have seen problems at that depth when we get the very rare zero-degree couple of days. I like to go 2 1/2 or 3.

Sorry to hijack the thread. :slp

Latest posts

Back