concord acid test and ph

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris889671

Reaction score
I need some clarifying. I bought ph test strips and acid test kit. the ph came out at 5.4. the acid tested to 0.9% according to the math in the tutorial. I dont really understand where the wine stands or what if anything should be done. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

I would recommend you skip the test strips and get a ph meter. This way you can take an acurate ph reading and with 1 chemical get an acid %.

No wonder you are confused. 5.4 would be bland and .9 acid with be on the high side.

I have the red hannah meter. Got it for just over a hundred bucks. It's worth it's weight.

If you are doing a kit you are probably fine, same if you bought quality juice.

I realize I got the wrong range of ph strips 4.6 to 6.2. I will be looking out for a meter. In the meantime (til play money is available) I'll have to get the right strips. I retested the acid with more patient and understanding, and got .675%. The ph has settled at 1.001, this is fresh concord. Do I need to ferment again?

Latest posts

Back