Commerical Plum Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UBB

Reaction score
Figured this was the appropriate place to ask. Anyone know who commercial wineries that produce plum wines go about processing their plums? Having just finished my last batch of plum wine for this year (over 180 lbs) it got me wondering how the 'big boys' do it?

Thoughts??

I'd like to know too. Mine is now 1.5 years old and as cloud as they day I racked it off the primary lees.

I'd like to know too. Mine is now 1.5 years old and as cloud as they day I racked it off the primary lees.
I'm more refering to what if any, tricks they have about pitting mass quantities of plums.

I feel your pain though, I do have one carboy of Plum that is not clearing very well.

Greg, have you tried putting a sample of it in 34-39 degrees for 2-5 weeks? You want to go as cold as you can but not freeze it. I dunno if this will work but it clears my wines great.

I don't know what they use but i use bentonite, pectic enzyme, and sparkalloid to help it clear. After about 4 months it's fairly clear and then i use the sparkalloid to finish it off. This last batch i also used a starch reducing enzyme as well. This batch is about 90% plum juice, as i added just a bit of water when i pitched the yeast.

2013 plum wine_edited-1.jpg

Yes, Jim. I did put this in my cold room at about 28 degrees for a month. I've also tried bentonite, multiple doses of pectinase and sparkaloid. I have not tried anything for starch haze. I actually suspect it may have something to do with wax on the skins. I've made plum wines before and did not have this problem.

Do most people pit their plums? I don't bother. I usually freeze them and then gently crush them up. The pits are never broken and I just ferment away with the pits. Never had a problem. If they aren't broken open, you don't get any of the nasty stuff from inside.

Wow, you threw the kitchen sink at it, Greg. Things that make you go hmmm…

I wonder if filtering it would help?

I filtered it twice with my whole house filter with a 3 micron cartridge. It did nothing. I just filtered it again with my superjet and the fine filter. It was really slow but it seems to have helped some. Still not clear though. I may try filtering it once more.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Thanks. The link is informative. I don't think it's pectin. Could be either a starch haze or a wax from the skin. I don't think I want to mess with this too much more. The super jet actually did the best so far. I will let it sit a bit and filter it one last time with the super jet. It should be clear enough for me to enjoy it.

Back