Commercial Wines You’ve Tried

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hippie

Reaction score
Well, now is bragging time.

I was given 10 bottles of Merlot and 5 bottles of Pinto Grigio and 4 bottles of sparkling wine that was leftover from a banquet the other night.

Sebastiani 2001 Alexander Valley Merlot. 22% Cabernet Sauvignon. Aged 12 months in new french oak. 1500 cases produced. From Sonoma County, CA. 14.5% abv. I loved it after it warmed to room temperature from the fridge. Very big, robust, red wine. Puckering tannin, slightly bitter. Very fruity. Can still taste it an hour after finishing the bottle. Kind of a mocha finish that goes really well with barbecue pork rinds. Don't ask me why. Doesn't everything?
smiley36.gif
3 stars out of 5.

Valdadige Pinot Grigio 2002 Santa Margherita Product of Italy. 12% abv. OK. Wanna know something wierd? This wine tastes exactly like my Peach wine. The only difference is the Pinot has a very slight smokey bouquet along with the fruit. My first impression is tart and acidic, but as I drink it, I taste the big time fruit. It is about halfway between dry and off-dry. I know. Very little tannin structure, as expected, which makes it seem more sweet than it actually is , with all the fruit taste and the fruity aroma. I like it. 3 stars out of 5.

Freixenet Cordon Negro Brut Product of Spain, 11.5% abv. Gonna try this next week when we are in Branson and Springfield. Look for the edit!

Edited by: Country Wine

Freixenet makes some pretty good sparkling wine. The one I like is semi-dry. It's not sickly sweet.

If anyone's is interested in German bubbly, check out Rotkaeppchen or Mumm. Both are pretty darn good. Especially the red Rotkaeppchen. It'slike a Krimskoja. I'm usually not a big bubbly fan, but this stuff is gooooooood!
smiley36.gif

M.

Freixenet makes a very good wine. If you have any leftover, you have my address!
smiley2.gif

Santa Margherita is known for their Pinot Grigios, so that should be very good as well.

Don't know anything about the other, but based on what you wrote, it sounds pretty darn good!

I agree nice score on some wine that all you have to do is drink and enjoy!

Latest posts

Back