Comments/Suggestions on Cranapple Wine Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
I have some steam-juiced apple juice on hand and some fresh cranberries. I would appreciate any comments/suggestions on the following recipe:

Cranapple Wine
9 qt apple juice (steam juiced)
4 1/2 lb cranberries (minced in food processor)
Water to 5 gal
Sugar (SG 1.090)
1 1/2 t pectic enzyme
10 Campden Tablets (divided)
1 1/2 t acid blend
5 t yeast nutrient
1 pkt Lalvin EC 1118 (hydrated)

Place cranberries in a straing bag then into primary. Add the apple juice, water and enough sugar to SG 1.090. Add the pectic enzyme, 5 Campden Tablets, the acid blend and yest nutrient; cover for 24 hours. Pitch the yeast and ferment to SG 1.020. Squueze the cranberry pulp and add liquid to primary; discard bag. Transfer to secondary and attach airlock. Rack after 30 days, top up and refit airlock. Rack every month until clear. Add 5 Campden Tablets and bottle.

I would add the acid blend after removing the fruit as thats when all the acid will be extracted from the cranberries and you will have a true reading or taste of how much acid will be needed.

Smoke...In My Opinion....That isn't a whole lot ofapple juicefor a 5 gallon batch.

When I do a 6 gallon batch of apple wine I use about 18-20 quarts of steam extracted apple juice...Like almost pure apple juice, I add just enough water to dissolve the sugar. I had read that apple and grape wines should be almost 100% juice.

I personally go for a lot of juice in my fruit wines. If you haven't started your wine yetI would add some frozen apple juice concentrate to boost the apple flavor and boost the body more....at least one 12 oz. container per gallon.

I do a Raspberry/Apple wine that we like a lot...I use about 16# of Raspberries and get about 7+1/2 quarts of steam extracted juice...Then for the apple part, I use about 7 cans of frozen apple concentrate for a 5 or 6 gallon batch.

I think you might delete the apple flavor too much with water...as you have less than 2 + 1/2 gallonsofapple juice, plus the cranberries.

They do sell a cranberry/apple frozen juice concentrate too...or instead of water you could use the 64oz bottles of cranberry/apple to boost the flavor.

Fruit wines are very personal...It's your wine...you can change all the ingredients to suit your tastes.

Ask the experts about adding 5 campden tablets at bottling...that might be too much....?

Keep us posted on your progress....

Edited by: Northern Winos

If you are going to start adding frozen concentrate then you can reduce the campden tabs but otherwise I see no problem with it, just give it 24 hours before adding the yeast after adding the k-meta and give it a good stir right before adding the yeast.

Thanks very much for the thoughtful feedback. The reason I was planning to use that amount of apple juice was based on Mehu-Liisa's recipe book which actually advocates using less juice than I was proposing. However, based on this feedback, I will increase the juice substantially using a combination of cranapple and apple juice concentrate. I will also delay adding the acid blend until primary fermentation is complete.

The cranberries have been frozen.

Any more comments/suggestions?Edited by: Smokegrub

I would use a different yeast.I have been using RC-212 on cranberry and like it.Coates de blanc gives a good fruit flavor,and 1122 works good on these also.The 1118 is ok,but the ones I listed will make the wine more flavorful.

I have Montrachet so I will go with that. Here is my revised recipe:

Cranapple Wine
9 qt apple juice (steam juiced)
4 1/2 lb cranberries (frozen; thawed; minced in food processor)
3 cans Welch’s 100% Frozen Cranapple concentrate
2 cans frozen apple juice concentrate
Water to 5 gal
Sugar (SG 1.090)
1 1/2 t pectic enzyme
1 1/2 t acid blend
5 t yeast nutrient
1 pkt Montrachet (hydrated)
5 Campden Tablets (divided)

Place cranberries in a straining bag then into primary. Add the apple juice, cranapple concentrate, apple concentrate, water and enough sugar to SG 1.090. Add the pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient; cover for 24 hours. Squeeze the cranberry pulp and add liquid to primary; discard bag. Add the acid blend, adjusting to taste. Pitch the yeast and ferment to SG 1.020. Transfer to secondary and attach airlock. Rack after 30 days, top up and refit airlock. Rack every month until clear. Add the Campden Tablets and bottle.

Edited by: Smokegrub

I would probably add 2 - 2 1/2 campden tablets up front and add 1 per gallon at end along with 1/2 tsp per gallon of sorbate.

I am hoping to gather up some cranberries from the stores now that Thanksgiving is over. I was hoping to get enough to make a 6 gallon batch of wine. I had thought of freezing the berries and then using the steam juicer on them...any one ever steam juiced Cranberries????

I can't imagine they would be different from any other fruit. My steamer is elsewhere or I would steam mine.

Latest posts

Back