Colorado, too!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DancerMan said:
I'm in!!!
Placed my initial order for equipment and wine kits with George. I talked with him on the phone. Nice guy and very helpful.
This is going to be interesting and, I know, lots of fun.

Congratulations! Did anyone explain about the P-Nuts?

Watch out for them. George places two in each box to cushion your order. However, P-nuts being p-nuts, in a dark place with not much to do, are attracted to one another. One thing leads to another and by the time your package arrives, the p-nuts have multiplied to fill the box. They will overflow. So, be careful how you handle them. Your whole house could be in danger. You have been warned.
smiley1.gif

Hey Admiral, thanks for the heads-up about those p-nuts. Think they are descendants of yeast? Sounds like they are!

Thanks for the welcome, Joan. Which kits to buy was a real challenge for me as I wanted two kits, which will let me at
least sample their results in 6 months or so. I got the MM renaissance- amarone, and the Cellar Craft - cab/sharaz blend. I wanted to try different producers' kits.

I plan on putting some of each (5 of each kit) in 375 ml bottles, so I can sample a little as I go.

I will make some of the high-end kits after I get these two in carboy. I'll probably try the MM masters all-juice kits.

What have you produced and what would you do differently, if you had the opportunity?

Those are great choices for your first wines. Just take your time, let the yeasties do their work, (yes, the are the cousins of p-nuts) and then give time a chance to work a bit on your wines and you will be happy. Be sure to post pictures of your efforts.
smiley1.gif

Welcome to the group DancerMan, looks like you are off to a good start. As you have noticed if there is anything you have questions on just ask.

Welcome to the Party!!!
smiley20.gif

The MM renaissance is a good choice.
I have made three of the Cab from Chile and they are very good.
Cellar Craft makes some good kits too. I have made severial and all were good.

I believe those two kits will work out well. I wanted to try different producers' kits to gain some experience. I ultimately want to get into the all juice arena, but want (need) some experience, first and also something I can drink without waiting too long the first go-around Two kits won't make me a seasoned wine maker (ha!), but will at least help to "get my feet wet".

</span>

DancerMan said:
Hey Admiral, thanks for the heads-up about those p-nuts. Think they are descendants of yeast? Sounds like they are!

Thanks for the welcome, Joan. Which kits to buy was a real challenge for me as I wanted two kits, which will let me at
least sample their results in 6 months or so. I got the MM renaissance- amarone, and the Cellar Craft - cab/sharaz blend. I wanted to try different producers' kits.

I plan on putting some of each (5 of each kit) in 375 ml bottles, so I can sample a little as I go.

I will make some of the high-end kits after I get these two in carboy. I'll probably try the MM masters all-juice kits.

What have you produced and what would you do differently, if you had the opportunity?

I have been making wine since '94 and have made all kinds of stuff. I made Pinot Grigio first because my daughter bought a bottle for Thanksgiving and it tasted great. The next batch was a Pinot Noir because I saw Sideways and loved the movie. That turned out quite well but as you might have figured out, I choose wines for odd reasons. Unlike you, I don't drink much wine but I like to make it. (Okay everyone...none of that, "Oh! You can send it to me and I'll drink it for you!" stuff!
smiley36.gif
) I have made a LOT of wine. I've used medium to high end kits, a lot of scratch stuff, including fruit, dandelion, a mead, and fresh grape juice. It's all been a great learning experience.

What would I do differently? I'd keep better notes on what I did, for how long, with what additives. I always say I'm going to do better but I have trouble following through with it. I have 2 limited edition Mosti kits coming shortly...a Borolo and the Chardonnay... so again I will promise to do better with my note-keeping.

You will learn many things as you make wine--when to be disciplined, when it pays to procrastinate, when to relax and not worry about the yeasties, (They are smart little buggers!) and although in the beginning it's incredibly difficult you will learn how to be patient. Your wine room, no matter where that is in your home, will smell wonderful. While you're in the process of making a wine be sure to taste at every step. You will be amazed at how the flavor changes over time. I am sure you will enjoy your Amarone and the Cab-Shiraz. Not only will they taste good, they will be much better than the store-bought variety because you made them! =)

Great write up and thanks for the advice. Since 1994!!! They are
obviously true words of wisdom. Thing about such "arts" as wine
making, one can read every book available, but nothing comes close to
taking the place of good old experience.

I saw that same movie. I was not yet a wine drinker at the time. As many others, seems I fell for the same condescending statement about merlot... I have never been a merlot fan. I tried some homemade merlot a few weeks ago at a wine shop and really liked it.

Yes, I do wonder what you and others on this site do with all that
wine. My wife and I have one glass each evening with dinner and every once in a while two. That turns out to average about one
bottle every other day. One 23 L kit every other month would take care of us.

Soon after these first two kits, I want to start with high-end kits,
because the sooner I start the sooner I will be able to enjoy!

I would really like to try a barolo, which I have never tasted. I
found it at a local liquor outlet, but I'm just not going to pay $60
for a sample. It sounds great on paper, but do I want to make a whole
kit to find out if I like it...

My goal is to get several good wines started. I prefer dry wines. I
like - cabernet sav., shiraz, malbec (love it!), and Sav. Blanc. After
reading about ibglowin's vognier, I want to try a commercial bottle of
it to determine if it might be a keeper for me. It sounds really nice.

I know there will be an initial outlay of cash, but if I make wine at
the same rate my wife and I typically consume it, after a few years
pass I'll have a steady supply of my own wine. That way I will have a
nice selection to suit my mood at the time.

A-h-h-h, when a body wants to enjoy a nice bottle of wine, wouldn't it
be great to walk downstairs to the old wine cellar (basement), look
over 20 or so bottles each of several varieties and say, "Hmmm, what
are we going to enjoy today"?

Of course I can't go out and buy $600 worth of wine kits at once, but over time I'll get there.

Sorry for being so overly verbose, I am just excited about my new adventure. I should receive my shipment from George tomorrow.

Patience and procrastination are good for wine making!
Take a look at the Cellar Craft Argentinean Malbec, it is outstanding!

<table ="Catalog" id="productsnew" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">140007 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5CCCGP_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Argentinean Malbec - with "Crushed Grape pack"

This
Malbec is distinguished by its dark, dense structure; full-rounded
mouth-feel; prominent, lush flavors of ripe cherry, black currant and
black berry; subtle notes of clove, vanilla and caramel with background
suggestions of earthiness. The bright, vibrant edge is beautifully
counterbalanced by our 2-stage Hungarian oak process.</td></tr></t></table>

Yep, I was going to order this malbec as one of my first two kits, but not available 'till June.

Thanks for letting me know I would have made a good choice.

I'll definitely pick it up in June.

OMG!! I must really be losing my mind! I didn't start making wine in '94! I started in '04. Okay...so I'm 10 years off! Sue me! =)

Appleman... NOW what you wrote in your PM makes perfect sense. Unfortunately I didn't get it until just now. (Do you think folks will believe I only drink about 2 glasses of wine a month? I'm thinking I need to start drinking heavily!)

DancerMan, I too have a Vioginer bulk aging (among others) and I'm really looking forward to it. All I need to do is bottle it!

Ha! Honest mistake (???)
Let me know how that vognier turns out.

Unfortunately, I can't blame this one on 60's and 70's antics. I wasn't doing bad things back then. Honest! I'm blaming this on my good looks and old age! =)

Joan said:
Unfortunately, I can't blame this one on 60's and 70's antics. I wasn't doing bad things back then. Honest! I'm blaming this on my good looks and old age! =)

Does that mean you are doing naughty things now?
smiley2.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back