Color enhancer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocco

Reaction score
Fast fermentation left my fall batch with poor color. I want a deep purple. What additives are available to add color? If you have experience with them, any technique is appreciated.

one option blend with a dark red wine.

another they used to sell dried grape skins that can be dissolved with wine and this would add color. check with your wine supply house.

Probably will try that stuff. Thanks RW. Since I only spend 4-5 days on the skins, does that affect flavor or just color loss?

before you add anything, let me ask.. How does the wine taste??

If the wine tastes good, then why mess with it? Just make a mental note to slow the fermentation next time.

Additives like tannins and grape skin extract will change the flavor of the wine. If you do opt for these additives, I highly recommend that you do bench trials (add to a small sample and taste) before you risk your entire batch of wine.

Um, let me just say that I'm not sure what John is alluding to. That grape skin extract has no flavor--only color. And tannin doesn't really add flavor--only tongue sensation, and it certainly will stabilize color. At this point tho, you're totally better off with the grape extract.

Um, let me just say that I have found that these do change the taste of the wine (IMHO). There is no harm in doing bench trails. Err on the side of caution is always the right way to go.

Latest posts

Back