Cold stabilization question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
Let's say I cold stabilize a wine and tartaric crystals drop out. But then I can't rack it right away...and it warms up to room temp before I can rack it. Will the tartaric crystals redissolve enough to be of concern? Or will the tartaric crystals for the most part remain in precipitate form so that the wine can be racked off of them even if at room temp?

Rule of thumb is to rack when it is on the cold that way you don't transfer them. If I am not mistaken they can dissolve back into the wine. I always rack in the cold ad don't have problems.

Let's say I cold stabilize a wine and tartaric crystals drop out. But then I can't rack it right away...and it warms up to room temp before I can rack it. Will the tartaric crystals redissolve enough to be of concern? Or will the tartaric crystals for the most part remain in precipitate form so that the wine can be racked off of them even if at room temp?

Once they crystalize they will not turn back, you can also leave them in the bottom of the carboy and there they will not harm the wine!

They won't dissolve back into the wine but other things fall out with them that will go back into suspension. I always rack right after CS. If I cant rack in a reasonable time I hold off on bringing the wine out of CS until I can.

There is a small chest type deep freezer at Tha Walmart for under $200.00. Since I can't lift in and out can I rack our from the freezer without actually being able to see if I am racking diamonds or not? Would the filter tip in the racking cane be sufficient without actually seeing the bottom of the carboy? And where is the best place to buy a digital temp controller I have seen y'all mention? I have a RJS EP Pinot Noir that will need CS.

I have always racked long after CS when it's time to back sweeten. I normally get a lot of crystals then.

Dan what can go back into the wine by waiting and the wine warms up after CS?

They won't dissolve back into the wine but other things fall out with them that will go back into suspension. I always rack right after CS. If I cant rack in a reasonable time I hold off on bringing the wine out of CS until I can.

That's what I do as well.

I like to wait until the temp comes a little - i CS at 24* - so racking to a room temp carboy could crack it - so i let the temp rise above freezing before racking...

The racking cane with the sediment end will do fine - the TA crystals formed at the bottom are hard they don't really float around if disturbed....

I let wine temp come up to 72F (room temp) and degass one last time by vacuum splash racking before bottling. My last batch, 2011 WE Limited Ed. Petit Syrah/Zin (no grapepak) cold stabilized for 30 days at 37F and had no diamonds, also MMosti Ren had none. Maybe this is a myth but the more diamonds after CS, the better the juice/kit was. RJS Winery/CC Showcase (white/red) kits all produced way more diamonds than any other kits I've made.

Latest posts

Back