RJ Spagnols Cold Stabalizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vabeachbear

Reaction score
Question for anyone who cold stabalizes their Reds.

How long do you normally do it?

I am cold stabilizing as I type. I use mother nature as I live in the midwest and I will go for 3-4 weeks at temperatures between 20-40.

Being that it is in the shed it does not fluctuate that much in temperature

Make sure you replace the water with vodka in your air locks so it will not freeze

Last edited:
I am cold stabilizing as I type. I use mother nature as I live in the midwest and I will go for 3-4 weeks at temperatures between 20-40.

Being that it is in the shed it does not fluctuate that much in temperature

Make sure you replace the water with vodka in your air locks so it will not freeze

Thanks. Do you do it that long to be safe or from experience?

@ vabeachbear

That number of days comes from my mentors that taught me, all I know is that it works. For me it works perfectly as the temps don't normally get below 10 degrees in the whole month of December.

It also allows me to have my son come home from college and help me with all the carrying of the carboys and I have extra time during the winter break as well,for racking them all.

Hers a quick pic -

cold [600x337].jpg

What type of pens are those marking from Steve? They seem really handy!

Those are referred to a paint pens - can be found at Menards and such or google it.

We also label our bottles with paint pens for personal and friends as they stay on very well , but they come clean using a scrubby or acetone or similar.Alot easier than scrapping a label off and residue !!

Back