Cold Crashing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s0615353

Reaction score
My ice wine was fermented with pro desert encapsulated yeast, and the wine did not stop fermenting as advertised. I added the normal amount of sulfite/sorbate, and cold crashed it in a fridge at 38F for 24 hours. After the yeast activity stopped, I racked the wine off of the lees and stuck it back in the fridge (the wine is still cloudy). How much longer should I leave it in before the yeast will die off completely?

Just throwing this out there. Maybe you got a dose of wild yeast started in there. If you did, it will probably keep on fermenting til dry or til the alcohol content kills off the yeast. Arne.

To cold crash, you need about 33-34 degrees F for a minimum of 3 weeks. Just above where it would freeze the water in it. Then test a sample with a microscope if you want to be absolutely sure. You should see no yeast cells in it. If you do, you need more time.

The hum of a vibrating fridge when running actually helps the cells flocculate out, so don't insulate the wine from that vibration. Clearing is a good sign that you are getting somewhere in your cold crash. If it has not cleared, it is not ready.

You could have either a re-ferment or spontaneous MLF going. The cold crash should work either one out with time.

You can also rack while cold crashing if lees become excessive. Just keep the wine cold.

Thank you both for your help. It has been a couple of days, but the yeast has definately started to fall out of suspension. Every week or two I will rack it and put it back in the fridge until clear. Will degassing the wine make the process faster?

Back