Cloudy Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gr8p

Reaction score
I have aged some wines from this fall as well as tried a Dragon Blood. I was looking for you opinions on whether to bottle or not. I know Dave states very direct to never bottle cloudy wine. The carboy on the left is a Dragon Blood that has aged 3 weeks and has had a clearing agent added (super clear). The carboy in the middle is my concord grapes from this fall that have aged since Oct. The carboy on the right is some pear wine I made this fall. Most importantly the tablecloth underneath the carboys can be found at any cheap retailer :h.

It appears to me that the 2 on the outside could be bottled at this point but not sure what is left to do w/ the concord to make it clear. Have run a clearing agent thru it once hence the lees at the bottom of carboy. Do i need to do it again?

Wine pics.jpg

The 2 on the outside still look cloudy to me and the middle well do not rush any of them. Time is your friend when it comes to making wine.......

i would say rack all three..the left and the right do look cloudy somewhat....i would say get those off there lees wait another week, and if no sediment has dropped, bottle.

the middle one you can either age for another 6 mos are longer are hit it with super kleer....

Not only do wines need to be clear before bottling, but you want to be sure all the CO2 is out of it. Sometimes, you think all the gas is out of it, then you bottle and find you still have CO2 in it. Now the concord---it really needs about 1 1/2 years of bulk aging for the flavor to firm and come forward. It will even be young tasting at the 9 month mark. Any wines made last fall are still young. Our approach is that we age everything for no less than 1 year. Very often you can bottle what looks like a clear wine and see it recloud when put under refrigeration. That's because it wasn't truly clear, and it's still dropping light sediment.

Grapes still cloudy

So after a year of being in the carboy, racked three times, fining agent used, and some TLC the pic below is what I have. I can't seem to get this any clearer. Should I bottle anyway? The grapes were off a plant I had bought several years ago that produced more grapes than I needed for jelly and juice so I became a wine maker/ lover :hug

Really wondering if any use holding up this carboy when I can use for my apple, pineapple, or pear wine.

Gr8p.jpg

How much pectic enzyme did you use on it originally? If you didn't (and even if you did) you can try adding some and it may help clear it. Sometimes a bentonite addition will aid clearing. SuperKleer won't always clear it if it is a pectic or protein haze.

Also top it up please before it oxidizes.

Just added some extra pectin enzyme. Original recipe I used did call for it so I did put some in at that time. Should I wait for some time before trying the Bent?

Yep, gotta give it some time. First, tho, how does it smell, how does it taste?? From the pic it looks like it mite be alright, but the taste, smell test will tell. If it is ok, then some kind of fining like the bentonite, pectic enzyme or maybe something else will clear it up. Otherwise if it is good, maybe time to drink it, not worry about it much and make some more. Arne.

Wanted to update you on the progress. Using the info the great people on the forum gave me I first tried the pectic enzyme, since was Concord grapes from my garden I thought maybe it needed another hit as these came straight from the garden to the primary after crushing. It has worked great! It cleared right up so I stabilized and back sweetened Bottling today!

image.jpg

Nice, a true testimonial on how time and patience does wonders for wine.

How does it taste?

I have some wine I'm going to hit with more pectic enzyme very soon.

It has been almost 2 yrs on this wine trying to let it clear so honestly, I bottled and decided to wait 3 more mths to let it settle then it will be celebration time!

I also have some rhubarb that has been stubborn to clear. I'm going to try the pectic trick on that as well

Kits and Dragon Blood are the easy ones so far and keep me in the drinkables

Latest posts

Back