cloudy wine after stabilizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corvor

Junior
Reaction score
In my mind, I had given my wine more than sufficient time to clarify before
bottling. However, it is still cloudy. What are my options now?

Any help would been appreciated.

Thanks

None unless you want to open every bottle and pour back into your carboy. The cloudiness can be the result of pectin haze, heat instability, bacterial growth, or not enough aging. What kind of wine is it? Did you use any pectinase, bentonite, sulfite, sorbate, fining agents, or filtration?

It's not too late to clear it, but you'll likely have to do the above.

We really need more information to diagnose the problem.

Last edited:
None unless you want to open every bottle and pour back into your carboy. The cloudiness can be the result of pectin haze, heat instability, bacterial growth, or not enough aging. What kind of wine is it? Did you use any pectinase, bentonite, sulfite, sorbate, fining agents, or filtration?

It's not too late to clear it, but you'll likely have to do the above.

We really need more information to diagnose the problem.

Good questions!
My answer is yes to all of the above, except that I have not yet bottled. The wine is setting in my carboy. It is Chardonnay Kit and, as I normally do, I followed all instructions.

Hope this helps!

Google Sparkloid or search on this forum. Do a second clearing. Have had to do that twice myself. Mo biggie.

Okay, if you've followed directions and used your fining agents (chitosan & kiesosol, Sparkloid, or whatever was provided), then be sure it's degassed well (imporatnt) because CO2 will keep particles in suspension. Next, assuming it's been sulfited (and maybe sorbated), just top up the carboy and let it sit for a few days to see if it begins to settle out. No harm in letting it sit longer if you can see it beginning to clear. If no sign of clearing after several weeks, then add some pectic enzyme although I don't think this will be necessary. Also, kits usually come with bentonite to be used during fermentation. If your's didn't, that would be the last recommendation to try. Time is usually the best remedy for these situations and I wouldn't rush to get it "fixed" right away.

Back