cloudy wine after stabilizing and backsweeten

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croakersoaker

Reaction score
Hi all last night I stabilized my apfelwein with 2.5 crushed campden and 2 1/2 ts k-sorbate then back sweetened a little to about 1.02 then syphoned from bucket back to carboy. Was planning to bottle Thursday so I can take a bottle or two out of town this weekend.Immediately after transferring I noticed my wine is no longer clear.I can't see all the way thru the carboy. Is this normal will it clear.?

Make sure the campden tablets are crushed into fine powder, so they disperse well. That's why I never use them, I just use powdered KMeta.

I don't believe you mentioned the quantity of the wine.

I am assuming it was very clear before, meaning all CO2 had been removed and there was no haze issue. Warm the wine up to at least 70F, that will help it clear easier. It should clear in short time, but you will get a little bit of sediment from which to rack before you bottle. Don't try to bottle the wine if it is not clear.

it was 5 gallons and i could read the newspaper thru the carboy. i sweetend by mixing some sugar and wine on the stove top and heated it and stirred till disolved.then mixed that into the bucket with the rest of the wine and stirred

Sounds like you did everything right. Are you sure you had completely dissolved the sugar? That is the only thing I can think of at this point. I would keep it under airlock and let it sit for a few weeks. I am guessing it will clear.

Another possibility is that your stabilizing with sulfite and sorbate was ineffective and you have a new ferment going on the sugar that you added. Sorbate does have a shelf life. Check your S.G. and test it again in a couple days. Keep it under airlock and watch for activity.

It was clear? Did you rack it off any sediment in the carboy, or did you stir it all back up when you added the ingredients and back-sweetened? Like Lon said. Watch the airlock. I think you might be rushing things a bit. When I backsweeten any wine, I give it at least an additional week to clear out, even if it looks clear, that way, I can watch for any refermentation as well.

Back