Clearing or not as it seems?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamy

Reaction score
Wine kit - Beaverdale Cab Sav, 1st fermentation 1073, 2nd 1000 (8th Feb), (17th) 994 then add stabiliser, de gas 17th through to 20th, 20th add Kieselsol, 21st add Chitosan.

today it still appears a little cloudy when the instruction say to bottle anywhere between 3-7 days after the chitosan. Will it make a lot of difference if I bottle it now? will it clear when bottled? as I need the 2nd fermentation bin for my next batch of Borolo!

I would not bottle until clear and I usually let clearing agents work for at least 2 weeks. After it is clear, rack then bottle.

hamy:

Beaverdale being a UK brand, I don't have any experience with their kits. Everything looks good from your sg numbers. So lets try a little patience and see if it clears.

One question. Do you know the temperature of the wine when you degassed? Warm wine (about 74F, 23C) degasses more readily than cool wine. If there is still a lot of CO2 in the wine, then the clearing agents may not be effective.

Steve

Last edited:
.. ok with the help of my aquarium heater it was around 22 to 24 c when d e gassing. I'm pretty sure with the help of my makita drill it's de gassed.

If it's ok to leave it a while longer to clear that brings me onto another anomaly.

I only have 2 bins, 1 x primary and another more carboy shaped secondary.

I have a Borolo (same kit make) that should be syphoned into the 2nd fermentation bin by now (day 8, 996)..it has just stopped bubbling...can I leave this part of the process longer until I move it when the other ones cleared?

many thanks

Hamy:

Re the clearing problem...please read this other thread...
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=173728&posted=1#post173728

Regarding your "bins"...sounds like it's time for a third one. I always like to have a spare. IE the max number of carboys that I will have on the go is 4 due to space limitations. So I own 5 carboys. (OK, I think it's actually 8, but that's a longer story.)

Steve

Back