Clearing Chocolate Strawberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandpasFootsteps

Hillbilly-In-Training
Reaction score
I made the chocolate strawberry port recipe. I used Super Kleer on April 2 as a clearing agent. This is the first time I've used Super Kleer. I usually use Sparkalloid. It settled down quite a bit, but it is definitely not clear. I test my carboys by shining an LED flashlight through them. I can't see any light at all on this one.

It hasn't improved in 2 weeks at all. Should I clear it again? Maybe rack it first and use Sparkalloid? Would that cause any harm? Is it possible that this recipe isn't meant to be really clear? It has chocolate in it...

I have noticed the strawberry wine i make takes a long time to clear.

Could be pectin or protein hazes in it.

Try adding some pectic in - that will correct the pectin haze.

Bentonite will drop of protein hazes.

I have never used those those - i use super kleer - and just wait - most settles out over time. If not - i use a coarse filter to clean it up - i only use that if it has been a very long time and i have added fining agents.

It won't clear if it still has a lot of CO2 in it. Make sure you degassed it and that the temperature is in the 70's F. The higher temperature helps it clear faster.

Latest posts

Back