Clearing agent after using flavouring syrup?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWrong

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I added 3 liter bottles of Marco Polo Raspberry syrup to a 6 gallon carboy of Rhubarb Raspberry Wine. The wine was clear and had been bulk aging for 20 months. Following this I added a clearing agent and got a ~3/4-1" layer of sediment. On sampling the wine after clearing it seemed that most of the flavor I had added with the syrup was gone.

My questions are:
1) Is this typical that a clearing agent would take out flavor?
2) If I had not used a clearing agent would I have had sediment in my bottled product?

Blaine

Did you back sweeten? This will bring the taste up. As far the clearing "patience". I have used the rasp syrup with great success and didnt cloud the wine. What clearing agent you using?

I did not back sweeten. The syrup had enough sugar. I used a the type of clearing agent that has the two clear liquid packs (one containing chitosan). I am not at home right now so I cannot elaborate beyond that. Something like kwikclear.

Adding the syrup did not cloud the wine, I just wanted to go to the bottling stage and was unsure if the syrup would have solids that settle out or would cause the wine to drop solids. So I used a clearing agent as a precaution.

Blaine

Hi Blaine;

What might have happened is that the syrup caused the wine to ferment again. Then which when you added the the Super Clear the remaining particles dropped out.

As a rule when adding syrup or glycerin or sugar to wine you should add Potassium sorbate to prevent re-fermentation.

I have used the same 2 part Super Kleer fining agent many times and have never noticed a reduction in flavor.
If you had not used the fining agent I suspect you would have ended up with sediment in your bottles after a month or so.

Jim

Actually, to ensure refermentation does not occur when backsweetening you need to make sure your SO2 levels are up to snuff, dose with 1/4 tsp k-meta per five gallon(check your label) plus potassium sorbate typically 1/2 tsp per gallon. If there is not adequate SO2 on board the sorbate can fail.

Latest posts

Back