Cleaning with sulfur water???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineutopia

Reaction score
So we were in the finger lakes this past week for some wine tasting and at a vineyard (which I will not name) there was a terrible smell. We asked the wine tasting lady what the smell was and she said they clean all tanks and equipment with sulfur water and that they do not use ANY chemicals for cleaning. Anyone hear of this before?

K-meta and water is sulfur water. They probably over simplified there answer.

I agree with Andy. Something like StarSan would not cause any odor, but it wouldn't necessarily do a better job that a Kmeta solution. I would feel safe drinking that wine.

No chemicals. Come on, everything is a chemical. some are just more complicated than others.

This is just a guess, a pretty good one IMO, but I would bet a decent amount of bux that there is also acid in that 'sulfur water'.

My guess is they have an Ozone Machine that they run their water through before cleaning/rinsing the tanks. The water comes out very strong smelling like meta but it's not. The smell dissipates rather quickly but if you're near by and they're running it, you'll smell it. Not alot of wineries have them as they are very expensive.

Latest posts

Back