Cleaning wine bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shep

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is Soda Ash sufficient for washing new wine bottles to receive last year's wine? or should I follow up with meta bisulfite and citric acid?

I use Oxyclean. Once the bottles are cleaned and dried, there's no need to follow up with a K-meta solution.

However, it is a common practice among home winemakers to rinse with K-meta solution at bottling time.

We have nine hundred used bottles. All were cleaned (or will be) with soda ash. At bottling time they get a spritz of Star San. In the past we’ve used Kmeta. Six of one.

When these are gone we will start buying new. Cases remain sealed until bottling day. They’ll go from the case to a spritz to the bottling tree to the bottling station. Then back to the case.

Last edited:
When I am reusing bottles, I soak off the labels with hot water and OxyClean, rinse well, upside down until use. When ready to use they get a spritz of K-Meta sanitizing solution, which includes some acid for me.
I'm with cmason; however, I found that 2 TBS of water in the bottle and into the microwave in a horzontial position for 1 min on high and the labels slip right off 99.9% of the time. Always use an oven mitt to remove the bottle. Don't ask how I know this! BTWm most commercial wineries don't do anything to new bottles other than a quick shot of nitrogen.

Are you guys talking about the OxyClean laundry, spot remover stuff? What's the attraction with that (as opposed to any other cleaner)?
It dissolves organic materials with a short soak. I tossed some 5 yo beers, all the bottles had a visible film inside. I soaked the bottles for 15 minutes and they were crystal clean.

All my drilled stoppers, air locks, and hardware get soaked periodically, and I rack the solution from carboy to carboy, which also cleans tubing

Last edited:
I use Avery Removable Labels for my bottle labels. They just peel off with no residue to have to deal with. For cleaning I use One Step. For sanitizing Star San. If you rinse your bottle out real good after consumption, you will save yourself some time and work when it comes time to use it again. Has worked for me for years with no problems.

1694283433919.png

A bit more elegant that most Avery labels (unless you insert images and blurb, which is a lot of work!) or a piece of masking tape.

Reusable, too.

It's preferred to make a commercial style label for wine that you give away. Back label and capsule, too. You'd be amazed at how much dressing the bottle can improve the taste of the wine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back