Cleaning wine area (bleach Alternative)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
I am in the process of moving my wine making operation from one end of my basement (furnace section) to the opposite end (fuse box, no heat, washer/dryer).

To do this I had to rip down all the old partical board off the concrete bloc walls and take everything out.

The previous owner had a mouse issue, which they never addressed. So I am left cleaning years of dust and debris.

The tile floor (on top of cement) is brown from age and dust.

I need to go through and clean this entire area. I am going to have to clean between the rafters and sil.
Knowing that Bleach is a NO-NO, (escpecially because my wine making is in proximity), what can I use to clean everything.
once I clean I am going to paint the concrete blocks!

Can I use a diluted bleach solution to mop?
Can I use clorax wipes?
can I mop with Oxiclean?

Do they sell K-Meta by the ton?

I have been using a quaternary cleaner to clean my wine space each year. Mine is a bulk product from Ecolab. I know it is made as a rtu product by other manufacturers. I don't think there are negative consequences. But I offer it for comment.
I use it in healthcare facilities for protection against germs and blood borne pathogens. Works well on hard surfaces with a reasonable contact time.

Took up the rollout floor in my basement and the tiles are covered in dirt and mold. They have probably been like that for years.

Now I have to get a solution to do away with mold!

Personally I would use bleach. Wash it down well then rinse it well. Let it dry and air out completely for a few days before moving the wine operation in.

i would use tsp , which is easier to rinse off then bleach..
tri sodium phosphate......home depot
u can full strength , half, are whatever.

I agree with Greg. Another thing to consider, Home Depot sells a house wash for mold. I used it and all you do is spray it on and than wait 15 minutes and wash it off. It is the only thing that works on the outside of my house. Of course you would have to have floor drains. My basement only has one and it goes to my backyard.

Latest posts

Back