Cleaning bugs and spider webs off grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carfino

Junior
Reaction score
Is there an opinion regarding cleaning bugs and spider webs off grapes prior to crush?

I don’t worry too much about it, unless I see stink bugs or ladybugs. I did my first harvest in France and was surprised by all the spiders that were crawling out of the clusters and around the bins we picked into. I asked the owner of the wine shop that had brought me what is done about the spiders. He just smiled and told me, ‘même Chez Patrus il y a des araignées’ (even Petrus has spiders). Sure enough, all the bins got dumped straight into the crusher and up into the fermenter.

MOG = Material Other than Grapes

Eliminating MOG is the goal. In an ideal world it can be done.

If you have the coordinates for that world please post them here.

In the meantime, do the best you can to get rid of it before you crush.

Last edited:
As mentioned, stink bugs and lady bugs/beetles leave bad taste and smells. Some wineries use sorting tables. Others just dump from the lugs to the crusher without a concern.

Short version - I will always rinse my grapes on the vine before I pick. Nozzle on a hose.

Long version - My first year I rinsed all the grapes in buckets (only about 80 lbs), the wine was great. The following year I didn't rinse anything, the wine wasn't very good, the third year I didn't rinse again and the wine was awful. Last year, year 4, I rinsed almost all the grapes on my vines before I picked them (just a nozzle on the hose) but on the last picking, time constraints etc made it so I didn't rinse them. We hand destem, and the increase in the number of bugs on the grapes not rinsed on the vine was definitely noticeable. All the wine from last year is pretty good, even the ones not rinsed (fermented separately - I had about 500 lbs total and ferment in buckets).

I'm pretty sure this is how many questionable vineyard/winery practices get started. I took 2 points and drew a line... Now I know that is what I did, I know it has no real basis, but I don't want awful wine again and washing hasn't hurt. But my kids will only know that dad always washed the grapes on the vine before picking, that is how you do it...

Washing grapes. Start there, conversation continues with some good reasons against washing.

I used to do it. The only difference is that my clothes were damp from the hose and sweat instead of just sweat.

Really need to get a pop up tent to keep the sun off when we're sorting.

As mentioned, stink bugs and lady bugs/beetles leave bad taste and smells. Some wineries use sorting tables. Others just dump from the lugs to the crusher without a concern.

I use an alternate, field based approach. Or basic wait and rest approach. Easier and cheaper than a sorting table, and less problematic than a simple dump and crush. Works fine so far.**

https://stcoemgen.com/2013/09/11/gardeners-friend-winemakers-horror/
As with most of life issues, there are often more than simply two ways to solve most problems. An integrated, multi method approach is often better.

Hope this helps.

** You may notice this post was made 9 years ago.... This is not a new topic to seasoned wine makers, and solution options have been out there a long time. Not just mine. Just saying....

Last edited:
I never rinse grapes, but do try to remove MOG where possible during the crush. Usually in the crush most bugs will come swimming to the top - here in N. California we have mostly earwigs and spiders. If you have grapes with tight clusters it is very difficult to clean unless you separate destemming and crushing.

I also think the volume of bugs (esp. earwigs and ants and other critters) is related to the quality of vineyard management.

I also think the volume of bugs (esp. earwigs and ants and other critters) is related to the quality of vineyard management.

Interesting comment.

Over almost two decades of vineyard management (not to mention a BS in ecology and MS in resource management), I have found the insect pest load each year is rather much more complex. Some years, it is easily attributed to environmental issues and easy to mange. But some years we have pest loads not obviously related to environmental factors and persist despite various single year vineyard management efforts to control it. Especially if one is not applying a "spray chemicals to solve all problems" type of management.

In short : it is complicated. Singular solution management suggestions may be simplistic.

Interesting comment.

Over almost two decades of vineyard management (not to mention a BS in ecology and MS in resource management), I have found the insect pest load each year is rather much more complex. Some years, it is easily attributed to environmental issues and easy to mange. But some years we have pest loads not obviously related to environmental factors and persist despite various single year vineyard management efforts to control it. Especially if one is not applying a "spray chemicals to solve all problems" type of management.

In short : it is complicated. Singular solution management suggestions may be simplistic.
Hi Balatonwine,

Perhaps an over-generalization on my part - you are correct, it is often more complicated that that.

I have seen obvious correlations between keeping vineyards clean, leaf removal to allow in air-flow and the number of insects, but as you rightly point out, sometimes pest loads are just high. I am also only able to comment on vineyards in California. My friends in places like Missouri tell me very different stories for vineyard management.

Oh, I totally feel you on the bug and spider web struggle with grapes – it can be quite a task! By the way, if you ever need some expert advice or help in managing pests, I stumbled upon this site, https://ajverminatorpestcontrol.com/home/. They've got some handy tips that might make your grape-cleaning process a bit smoother!

Latest posts

Back