Clarifying

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dufresne11

Reaction score
Hello All,

When do you add clarifying agent? After fermentation I would imagine. I have instructions on the agent I am using but I am always looking for opinions from those who have been there

I use basically now only when a wine wont clear by itself. As far as when to add it, when its finished fermenting and after you have added sulfites so when you are stirring it in you dont oxidize your wine. You should also make sure your wine is degassed as trapped C02 will prevent your fining agent from doing its job by suspending your sediment.

I use basically now only when a wine wont clear by itself.

I'm glad you brough this up Wade. I've heard you say this a few times before and I got to wondering if it means you don't use the clarifiers provided with kits? If so, could you be more specific as to what difference in time to clear have you noticed? And does it change the taste noticeably?

thanks.
Steve

Ive had problems a few times with the fining agent used with W.E kits. As to which one I really cant remember but believe it was the Isinglass. I use SuperKleer KC and it works everytime and very fast and compacts nice so that I can rack off without disturbing the lees at the bottom much if any. I leave the fining agent in there for around 2 weeks with the carboy tilted so as that the lees fall onto one side and I can rack off the side with no lees on it. A little shaking while the lees are falling helps to get these lees over on that side and off the side of the carboy which can happen more with the Italian carboys as they have ridges where the lees will sometimes collect a little. I have never noticed any flavor difference and I have made 2 wines in which I have cleared 1 carboy of and not the other, both were 1 gallon batches. The fining agents can sometimes strip a little color though which is really not much and my wines always still come out nice and dark.

Latest posts

Back