Clarifying not working

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taggus

Junior
Reaction score
ALl have a clarification question. Last night I degasses and clarified a 2 gallons of mango wine. (separate 1 gallon carboys) Typically I start seeing results within 12 hours. What I am seeing today is quite different then what I am used to.

Carboy 1 is clear about 2 inches down but the bottom has a very gelatinous look to it and isn't changing

Carboy 2 appears to have settled someone but extremely cloudy like only have the clarifies worked.

Any one seen this in the past and how can I fix this?

Thanks

I'd say give it time. Clarifyers may need different amounts of time to work on different fruits. I wouldn't even take another look for at least a couple of weeks.

Given enough time it should clear on it's own.

Keep us posted

Please keep us posted on the results of your clarification project. I am currently making mango wine as well, and it looks like orange juice right now. I have racked a couple of times, and even run it through a course filter-but it seems to be clearing very slowly (I haven't used any clarifier yet).

This is probably one of those wines you should use bentonite on in the primary. You'll get better clarification results so that you don't have to do all these acrobatics when you are post ferment.

One jug may have the bulk of the solids in it from siphoning off from the primary. This is why you need to be real careful and not let ANY of the slurry, on the bottom of the vat, go up into the racking cane. At that point, you should stop the siphon and just toss the rest.

Give it some more time. I generally use Sparkolloid after fermentation and sometime it clears quickly and sometimes it drags its feet. One thing that greatly effects clearing time is how well you degassed, sometimes wines are hard to degas. Above all else, make sure that the SG is steady for at least three days and generally below 1.000 before adding the clarifier.

I used a clarifier but bringing up degassing that may be the problem. It took a very long time to get the gas out and not seeing the results I am not sure i got it all out. I am thinking of waiting 5 more days and if there is no change to rack it, degas it and start over clarifying. I was thinking of adding more after the process. Thoughts on adding more. I use Kenesol and chitosan (botched the spelling I know).

I will keep you posted on its progress.

Side note mine did look like orange juice at first but it's a light yellow green now. It's pretty. Nothing like the 6 gallons of chokecherry which looks gross :)

When was this wine made? Wine will degass on its own if you let it sit undisturbed for a few months. You want to be sure you're not trying to rush a young wine.

If all else fails with clearing,you can add some bentonite. Bentonite clears very well and attacks protein haze. It can take a couple months for it to work, sometimes, and then following that up with some cold stablization should clear it right up for you.

Back