Chrome Wire Shelving For Carboys?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super_coo

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I don't have a lot of room where I'm doing my first kit (downstairs bathroom) and I was wondering if anyone uses those chrome wire shelving units and if they are safe/strong enough for full glass carboys. The one I'm looking at from Home Depot is 24(w)x30(h)x14(d) and states that it can support 250lbs per shelf which is obviously more than enough.

I apologize if this has been asked before but all I could find searching was people using them to store "empty" carboys.

I just wanted to see if anyone else is using these or if there is a better option?

wire shelving.jpg

If those are the correct dimensions, you would only get 2 each 6.5 gallon carboys with airlocks on it safely, four if you put two on the top shelf but I don't think it would be very stable. Though it shows three shelves, you will only be able to use two (one near the bottom and one about 28" above) and I would not have a lot of confidence in that design. I think it would be unstable. I would look for a better alternative or build shelves out of 2 by material.

I think a commercial grade steel shelving unit would be better. This one from Home Depot has a 1,200 lb. capacity...

71a1802b-f01a-4925-8a15-934093f4e542_300.jpg

Edsal 60 in. W x 66 in. H x 18 in. D Steel Commercial Shelving Unit

Super Coo

I bought one and the design is terrible for the concentrate'd weight of a carboy (the carboys are not steady at all, they tilt toward the center of the shelf). I use it for shoes instead. I bought one similar to the second picture that works really well.

Ok thanks obviously the commercial is better but as i mentioned space is limited so anything much more than 24" wide just won't work for me.

Also wanted to add that I would more than likely have max 2 on the go at a time.

Last edited:
Those wire shelves are pretty sturdy and I have a couple, but I would not trust it to hold full carboys. It looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Depending on time, tools and interest you could easily make something sturdier out of precut stuff at your local big box store. If you only have one carboy, don't overlook the humble milk crate. They are awfully handy to have around. You might want it upside down with the carboy on top of it for starters as crates make it hard to view the "lees level" when racking. You may also want a scrap or two of wood to reinforce the crate's carboy surface. I use canvas totes for moving the carboys around. Much easier to peel back and keep a close eye on the sludge.

A full 6 gal. carboy might tip the scales @55lbs or so. Depending on mfr. they measure 10"-12" diameter so you may be able to get 2 per shelf. A piece of plywood or OSB or MDF on the shelf would help stabilize it. Secure it to a wall or something like for added stability

I think what I will end up doing is build something out of 2x4 with
simpson corner strongties and a plywood top.

I use the wire shelving, I keep four full 6 gal carboys on the bottom shelf (real tight), on the middle shelf I have two 5 gallon and one 6 gallon oak barrels, also full, and the top shelf I use for storage, I could only use 3 shelves giving myself some clearance to access the carboys and barrels to take samples and such. I had 3 full carboys on the top shelf, but it proved too high to safely put and remove full carboys.

Tom, I believe you are talking about a different shelving unit from the one Super Coo is considering. You probably have the 48" wide unit which is also taller. His unit is only 30" high.

Rocky, you are 100% correct, this is what I get for trying to read and post from my phone, I suffer from CSS....lol

I think what I will end up doing is build something out of 2x4 with
simpson corner strongties and a plywood top.

That sounds like a much better idea to me.
If you think about it, you should be able to figure out a way that you can remove the two top shelves when
you aren't using them.

I've had a new thought how about using a good quality night stand that is 25" tall, that should be tall enough to siphon from and strong enough to support 60+ lbs.

Latest posts

Back