Chromatography solution

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI_Wino

Reaction score
Just did my first paper chromatography test to get a baseline for my Chilean juice buckets fortified with merlot must. Question is what do people with the 1/4" of developer solution in the big round jar? I believe you can reuse it, correct? Can I leave it in the jar for a month? Or should I try to pour it back into the small bottle?

You should be able to use it over and over as long as your jar is clean. I would not leave it in the jar as the different components will evaporate with all the air space. I pour mine back into the small bottle.

Pic of the chromatography results. It was actually quite simple and kind of fun.

1398744943800.jpg

You should be able to use it over and over as long as your jar is clean. I would not leave it in the jar as the different components will evaporate with all the air space. I pour mine back into the small bottle.

Thanks, I'll do that. Do you refrigerate your chromo related chemicals?

I keep my leftover in the chamber 1/2" or so and keep it sealed tightly. It does not seem to go anywhere. Everything is stored in the winery which is 55 Winter, 65 Summer so always cool.

I leave my solution in the 1 gallon jugs year round un-refrigerated. I have no issues. I have about six of them in the winery and some are 2-3 years old.

Back