Chokecherry and Saskatoon (serviceberry) - refining it 2nd time around

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am making 5 gallons of chokecherry/saskatoon wine. Made it last year (first time winemaking ever) and turned out pleasant but a little low on body, in my opinion, nice and clear, not heavy, smooth and a lovely saskatoon aroma.

I think i didnt have a large enough quantity of fruit, used a 3 gallon pail and was was maybe only 1/3 fruit for fermentation. (didnt measure, am guessing 9 or 10 pounds fruit) or perhaps not correct acid adjustment...

This time i have 12 pounds of frozen crushed saskatoons & 12 pounds of pulp remains from making chokecherry syrup and a little fresh whole crushed chokecherries. The 5 gallon pail is more than half full of just fruit and without water weighs 25 pounds.

Last time i started my 3 gallon batch at 1080, used pectic enzyme 1 3/4 tsp, next day yeast, then 1 1/2 tsp acid blend, 1 3/4 yeast nutrient, temperature at 70 - 72 mostly, then 1 1/2 energizer-nutrient. fermented for approx 7 - 8 days before racking to secondary. bulk aged in 1 gallon jugs and added minute amount of campden at that time and super small sprinkle on last racking before bottling.

Are there any suggestions on any improvements i can make or recipe guide? There arent any for this fruit combination...Maybe one could be created.

So far i let the fruit sit half day, then added water, overnight and now have added 2 1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme. am planning to wait a few hours, check SG and add sugar. but i only probably have 2+ gallons of water in there, the rest is all fruit. any suggestions on how to accurately add the right amount of sugar? do i measure the total amount? because i will have to be adding at least 2 more gallons of water later on after removing the fruit...

Hi Brenda,
Your recipe looks ok as a basic recipe to me, however, I'm wondering about your comments at the end about adding another 2 gallons of water after removing the fruit. To get the best body and flavour you really want to go with the least amount of water possible. There are lots of folks here who go 'all juice'.

I wonder if cranberry might be a nice add to this one. Instead of some of the water perhaps? Think about a touch of vanilla or oak as well(?)

Did you check the acid levels before adding acid? You can just use a clean strainer to get a sample to use for your hydrometer. You can also bag the fruit and lift it out to see about how much water and juice you got and then just put the fruit back in. How do you crush your chokecherries? WVMJ

i didnt check the acid (the wine shop here says his is expired and doesnt have a tester), so i just guessed and added 2 tsp's. however, that was before i decided to not add more water and just go with what amount is there, am thinking maybe 3 1/2 gallons, (but not sure if some of the fruit pulp will also turn to liquid).

i added my sugar last night for 3 gallons, minus 2 cups and am thinking to get some welches grape concentrate. Can I pitch the yeast this morning and add the grape pack afterwards? also, i am not sure how much supernutrient and yeast energiser (pre-mixed combination) i should add and if i should add all of what i will add along with the yeast or half now and half a little later. am feeling its time to pitch the yeast as my temperature is already at 72.

The taste is mainly saskatoons., for the chokecherries i cooked them and then hand milled them (not crushing the pits) and used the remains. i also added a few pounds raw and hand crushed them with a potato masher.

so, i am not sure when and how much energizer/nutrient to add and when i should add the grape concentrate., or anything else i might be able to modify now.

i think its impossible to measure the amount of water (next time will definitely measure what i put in) and there is just so much fruit in this, hard to even stir it. but my 5 gallon pail is full to 5 inches from the top. the sugar has taken this level higher.

Chill a little bit, just guess how much total liquid is in there to base your measurements. I asked about the acid addition since I have never used these berries before but have heard chokecherries are very acidic. Good luck, WVMJ

We make serviceberry wine and if you use no water in that bucket of juice, you'll have a good result. Our serviceberry has the flavor of a cherry wine. Water only dilutes the flavor.

You really need to buy a PH meter so that you can get your acid in adjustment upfront of the fermentation. Your wines--especially those that can be too acidic without acid adjustment--will be more balanced and you won't have to use so much sugar during sweetening to get those acids balanced out.

Back