Chokecherry - 1 gal. batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelican

Reaction score
Following the proportions of the Neighborhood Chokecherry recipe posted by Northern Winos, which wine is the inspiration for winemaking in my household by the way (three cheers for the talents and generosity of Northern Winos!!) - here's my conversion of that recipe in a 1 gallon batch.

********* CHOKECHERRY Red Grape ala NW 1 gal *******
1-1/2 qt chokecherry juice (steam extracted) + 1/4 c. reserved for yeast starter
150 ml Red Grape Concentrate

2 3/4 C.sugar dissolved in 1 qt water

** Tested SG and it was a little high at 1.110, so added

1 qt water (additional)

** Retested SG at 1.086

added:

1 campden tablet, crushed

1/2 tsp acid blend

1/2 tsp Pectin enzyme

1 tsp yeast nutrient (3/4 tsp in must, 1/4 in yeast starter jar)

1/2 tsp yeast energizer

Plus the extras for flavoring:

about 1/4 of a vanilla bean (cracked to help extract flavor)

2 pepper corns (I didn't toast them)

1 Tbsp. oak chips

Yeast Starter - the 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient referenced above, 1 c.
water, 1 Tbsp sugar, pinch acid blend (about 3 grains of this, a mini
pinch), and packet of EC-1118 yeast.

(I had a partial packet of EC-1118 in the fridge - other yeast might be more suited).

About 6 hours after starting the "starter" I also added the 1/4 c. reserved chokecherry juice to the yeast starter jar.

24 hours after preparing the must, I pitched the yeast starter and now
(another 24 hours later) it's going good, temp is about 76 degrees vs.
the 68 it started at, and it's looking like:

20080205_215754_chokecherry.jpg

It sure smells good too!

You go girl!!!!
Looks good to me....You'll only be sorry it wasn't a 5 or 6 gallon batch.

Keep up the good work!!!!

Northern Winos said:
You go girl!!!!
Looks good to me....You'll only be sorry it wasn't a 5 or 6 gallon batch.

Keep up the good work!!!!

I am already sorry it's not a bigger batch!!!

It was another fast fermenter - last night the SG was down to 1.008 so transfered to the secondary and -- whoosh foam out through the airlock after about 5 minutes sitting in the glass jugs. This is great! I'm running into all the typical home winemaking experiences ~ broken hydrometers, foam overs
smiley17.gif
So since I had more than 1 gallon and had started with a 1 gallon jug and a regular wine bottle for the excess, I went up a level to a 1 litre wine bottle for the excess and poured some of the gallon off so there was more room to foam a bit. Now, don't you know, there's no foam (which is a good thing I suppose) but the airlocks are glurg glurg glurging and it all looks happy.

"poured some of the gallon off" -- into the 1 liter bottle I mean, just to clarify - I did NOT pour it off down the drain. Just in case anyone reading that post would think that (how could you think that????? LOL)

You got it all under control. Glad you are having such fun with this great adventure.

Shhhh!!!! Rumor has itPelican comes home from work and looks ather wines with a flashlight.... I heard it through the grape vine....
smiley36.gif

Oh the shame of it! Yes, I have been known to check my wine with a flashlight to see if it's clearing, I've also sat and watched the bubbles bubbling. I just have to remember to kiss honey FIRST when I get home, and then go play with the wine!!
smiley9.gif

It's almost wine yet - it's coming along, still a bit of pressure in the airlock, just a little - but there was a huge layer of sediment so I did rack it today and the taste in getting the siphon started was so good I had to try several times to get the siphon going.
smiley36.gif

If the finished product tastes more like the top up wine than choke cherry wine, we'll know what happened!
smiley36.gif

This one might just be consumed "very" young. In order to have any to bottle, I'd better start a second batch I think!

Latest posts

Back