RJ Spagnols Chocolate Orange Port (low starting SG?)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spree

RedWino
Reaction score
Instructions for this kit are here for reference: http://www.rjscraftwinemaking.com/assets/images/products/media/Cru%20Specialty3.pdf

I just got my RJS Chocolate Orange Port and poured the juice and added the bentonite as directed but when i took my starting SG it came in at 1.112. This seemed really low to me but I cant find anything in the instructions as to what it should be.

Does anyone have any ideas before i move on to adding the yeast?

A friend made that kit two years ago and it was outstanding. We opened his last bottle a few nights ago and I'm hoping he makes it again. I tried the chocolate raspberry last year. It's excellent, but the orange is my favorite. Enjoy!

Well most of the ports I've read about seemed to have a much higher SG to start with and since the instructions don't say what to expect that's why I'm asking.

I don't know what port kits your talking about.......

Thats a pretty good starting SG for ANY Port kit bar none.

Well then my question is answered. =)

I'll wait until my next port to try people's brandy additions.

Instructions for this kit are here for reference: http://www.rjscraftwinemaking.com/assets/images/products/media/Cru%20Specialty3.pdf

I just got my RJS Chocolate Orange Port and poured the juice and added the bentonite as directed but when i took my starting SG it came in at 1.112. This seemed really low to me but I cant find anything in the instructions as to what it should be.

Does anyone have any ideas before i move on to adding the yeast?
These kits usually start with a sg of 1.110 to 1.125 Very unusual to get one in the higher range. I you wantconfirmationo you could call the 1-800 number in the instructions. But I am sure you are good to go.

Most varieties of yeast can not handle much more than that starting SG and its resulting ABV. You will need to add brandy in order to get the ABV up some more... pretty typical scenario.

WE versus RJS kits

With the sugar added at the beginning mine was 1.135. It finished at 1.010, which is an ABV of 16.5%. I'm guessing RJS supplies a similar amount of Chaptalization sugar as the WE kits.

EDIT: I see from the instructions you linked that there isn't any sugar. So it seems you ferment to dry, then add the flavor pack. Frankly, from what everyone says about these ports, I think RJS has the better idea going on. A much more consistent finished product I'll bet. With the WE kits many people can't get below 1.020, which has got to be a very sweet wine after you add the f-pack.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back