Chipped carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2PUPs

Reaction score
Was just looking on the net and found someone selling a few carboys . One has a chip on outer edge of mouth opening . Is there anyways of filling that in with some sort of glass epoxy or something . Or should I just not bother with that one , wants 15 bucks for it , 10 minutes from house which is nice .

jeff

out edge? well that would be an area on little concern...i would not hesitate....if you degas then i would guess you could put something in that area to keep a seal

i have had carboys that have slight cracks that i would not dare use....but a small chip located where you say it is would not bother me....tell they guy... ten bucks

I have a 25 liter carboy with a chipped outer lip and filled it with an epoxy material and sanded smooth to match the lip. It does not touch the wine but provides a proper surface for sealing with an orange cap.
Go ahead and get it.

I too agree as on that thicker glass I wouldnt be concerned, any where else on a carboy and Id be devastated!

That wouldnt bother me but on the right side lloking at that comoputer is there a chip on the side also?

I have a couple like that and they do leak a bit of air during degassing with a vac. I just push down on it a bit to get the vac going and it holds pretty well.

Not usually AL but I try to relate to how the average winemaker would work. I have had the problem in the past and still do with those carboys, but generally it is in tranfering wine into them under vacuum.

Grapeman- I have always wondered if commercially you guys degass

Well during the snow storm on Saturday I went and picked up two glass carboys from an add on craigs list , the one with chip was sold before I got there . I got a 5 gal and a 6 gal carboy . Also he threw in about 12 - 375mL bottles a couple of 750mL wine bottles and a ale pale with spigot , all for 45 bucks , thinks that was a good deal . Plus a six pack of his home Brew . I brought him a couple bottles of my Pinot Noir . So all in all it was a good day even though we had a lil snow .

Last edited:
Back